Comparing 4 cylinders to the V-6, the older 6 bangers always seem like dogs. What year did Toyota introduce the new V-6 design? How can you tell at a glance? Did any motorhomes get these? Did any come with manual transmissions? Thanks. gj

Not sure what you're referring to between the old and new V6s. The only V6 installed at the factory (Toyota) for the motorhomes was the 3.0 V6.

'At a glance' ID of a V6? Different front fenders and curved dash. And a V6 badge on the grill.

Manual transmission might have been 'available' with the V6, but they are rare.

You referring to the 3.4 V6? The bigger more powerful engine that actually gets better gas mileage? That began production in 1995 I believe AFTER Toyotota motorhome production had ceased (at least I don't know of any post 94 motorhomes?). There is a toyota super forum dedicated to the swap of the older 3.0 to these. Many have done this rather than replace their 3Z when its day was up. (reference link to this site I believe in the pinned engine swap thread)

The "new V6" as in the 3.4L 5VZ-FE, no Not in from the factory. But I should have mine in for 2012 (next winter project)

Here is a 87 with a 1UZ-FE

engine.jpg

I think his username is turbo bob here... I met him once, super smart Toyota nut :-) I think his family and job took him away from his swapping business...

Link:

http://www.supracharged.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=667

You referring to the 3.4 V6? The bigger more powerful engine that actually gets better gas mileage? That began production in 1995 I believe AFTER Toyotota motorhome production had ceased (at least I don't know of any post 94 motorhomes?). There is a toyota super forum dedicated to the swap of the older 3.0 to these. Many have done this rather than replace their 3Z when its day was up. (reference link to this site I believe in the pinned engine swap thread)

Thanks for the info. So why do all the 3.0 sixes seem to be dogs?

May as well "put a HEMI in it!" gj