Shoveling snow off the roof

ChrisInVT

I'm sure Derek can attest to this...

Now that the Aermicana is mine, I'd like to keep it around for a while. I was hoping to get the frame damage (broken crap welds) repaired before the winter, but I just didn't have the time. Now the camper is sitting outside under a little more than a foot of snow. This thing sat for three years, gone through three winters without getting the roof shoveled off; but I'm sure that added to the internal damage and might even be part of the cause of the broken welds.

Well last week I was up on the roof shoveling it off. I shovel off the roof of my Toyota box truck when it snows because I don't want it to cave in (seen it happen before in-person). I figured I'd shovel off the Odyssey while I was at it. Well, while I was up there shoveling I heard the roof cracking and making horrible noises (it's a nice warm 10* out here). There were no vidible cracks in the fiberglass (I looked real good because I freaked out), but the noises were enough to get me off the roof.

I don't have a ladder tall enough to get me up near the roof to shovel it off, and I don't want to walk on the roof for the fear of cracking the fiberglass. What to you guys up north that don't have a garage to store your motorhome in do? I'd like to get one of those huge snow-rated carports - but I could almost build a garage for the price of them.

I had a custom truckers tarp built at Montana canvas that locks down under the over hang, straight to the back covering half the windows, and folds in the back like a wrapped gift. It has "D" rings sewed in all the way around just like the truckers tarps and I bungi it down tight with rubber rope. There's a zipper either side of the door and the tarp rolls up to ties that hold it up there. I have to remove the ladder each winter for it to fit down tight. I'm able to drive down the highway with it on. It's the best $400 I've spent since I bought this '84 Dolphin and they tell me the tarp will easily last 20 years. I even had a choice of colors. It was -20 below last night, ( 1-1-2011), and the tarp is still real pliable. All my vent covers even made it through a sever hail storm last fall.

T.A.J. in Butte Mt.

Now that the Aermicana is mine, I'd like to keep it around for a while. I was hoping to get the frame damage (broken crap welds) repaired before the winter, but I just didn't have the time. Now the camper is sitting outside under a little more than a foot of snow. This thing sat for three years, gone through three winters without getting the roof shoveled off; but I'm sure that added to the internal damage and might even be part of the cause of the broken welds.

Well last week I was up on the roof shoveling it off. I shovel off the roof of my Toyota box truck when it snows because I don't want it to cave in (seen it happen before in-person). I figured I'd shovel off the Odyssey while I was at it. Well, while I was up there shoveling I heard the roof cracking and making horrible noises (it's a nice warm 10* out here). There were no vidible cracks in the fiberglass (I looked real good because I freaked out), but the noises were enough to get me off the roof.

I don't have a ladder tall enough to get me up near the roof to shovel it off, and I don't want to walk on the roof for the fear of cracking the fiberglass. What to you guys up north that don't have a garage to store your motorhome in do? I'd like to get one of those huge snow-rated carports - but I could almost build a garage for the price of them.

When I stored mine out side I made low "saw horses" for the roof and then put the cover over them that made a little pitched roof and then just used a standard roof rake to take the snow off. The one in the back allowed me to open the rear vent too.

I don't know anything about snow, but building a pitched roof as Maineah mentions would seem like good advice. A pitched roof made of plywood and 2x's is probably a lot of work, but would seem pretty cheap and able to withstand anything (well high winds might blow it off). If its pitched enough, doesn't snow just fall off naturally? Ya, clueless about snow and its properties

... pics please of your final solutions :)

Well this picture was taken after the fluries the night before no it's not a class "A" there really is a cab under all the snow. The rear saw horse shows up pretty well it is the lump in the back it does allow some degree of ease getting the snow off with snow shoes on I could stand on the banking and look over the roof. The following year I put two saw horses up and that was a little better.

post-669-020850700 1294017370_thumb.jpg

Attached (if it works) is a picture of what I built on my 1985 Dolphin to solve the snow problem here in Montana. Its got a steep enough pitch that a slight bump with a broom sends the snow sliding off easily. The cover cost me about 50.00 for everything.

post-2678-010235300 1294276578_thumb.jpg

Hmmm, a large tarp would be a good idea, and the ideas of building a pitched roof are good also. I might end up going with a large tarp and making a collapsible pitched roof to brace the tarp up. I need to build two, one for the box truck and another for the motorhome.