1985 Sunrader, Let the fun begin!!

Viking66

bullmoose,

I would love to give you a solid answer but there are just to many factors involved.

I got lucky on the price I paid for mine. There could be deals like that in your area as well, then again maybe not.

Some folks on this site have paid upwards of $5000.00 for their Mid 80s Toy home. I am sure if you look around you can find one anywhere between the price of mine, and theirs. Remember it is only worth what you are willing to pay for it, how much work is involved and what you are willing to do.

So far I have an additional $750.00 in mine already, and it is a long ways from being done to my standards.

thanks.....this project is interesting to watch. gives me ideas of what to look for when i buy one......txs for posting !!

• 5 weeks later...

I have been working on my Bathroom. I ended up re-doing it because I already had the BWT out, and had to remove the other plumbing so why not.

I used tile board for the walls. I found out really quick that I am terrible at trimming in, so I am going to talk my Master carpenter friend into doing it for me....LOL

All in all it came out pretty good. I used tile board that has lines in it, and I recommend against that if you re-do a Bathroom. It took extra materials to make sure everything lined up. I think I have about $150.00 in the job so far. I will more than likely have to buy some beer for my friend, so there goes another $20.00 :ThumbUp:

I will get some pics up once the trim is complete.

thanks.....this project is interesting to watch. gives me ideas of what to look for when i buy one......txs for posting !!

bullmoose,

do not use viking's purchase price as any sort of indication of what a sunrader should cost. he flat out stole that dang thing!!!!!!!!!! :)

good luck with your search. if you are anywhere in the northeast or don't mind traveling, it looks as though my sunrader will be up for sale this spring.

i paid 5 grand 4 years ago in the dead of winter. and it needed all new tires and shocks. interior was like new, though. it currently has 3.5 year old rubber and shocks. only issue i have now is it's in no big hurry to start when cold. i suspect it's a cold start injector, but, haven't verified yet.

• 2 months later...

Well I went ahead and had a Cat back exhaust put on for $175.00

The muffler was in the wrong place and was hanging down, so I had him move it and add a tail pipe made to exhaust out behind the rear tire.

The tail pipe is about 1 1/2" below my BWT, any reason to make a heat shield?

Pipe is pretty cold by the time it gets back there. Mine is about the same, about 2 inches below the BWT.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 1 month later...

Well last weekend I decided to finally rip out the bad wall. It was really not to bad getting it all out, so that is done.

I went to a big box store and picked up some Luan paneling. One side has a reddish colored wood and the other a more wood grained light in color, so that's the side I am using. I bought some Golden Oak color stain with the poly built in, I found that is the closest in color to the original I could find. I have 3 coats on it, and it came out pretty good!

So tomorrow in goes the new wall, should be fun!!!

Next is the flooring, and then getting the shell polished up.

As I have said before, I am having a lot of fun messing with this old girl ;-)

I had a Great day getting the new wall installed. A good friend stopped by and gave me a hand in getting the job done.

It came out Awesome!!! The Luan wood and the Golden Oak color matches really well. At first I was not to sure when looking at it outside of the coach, but once inside and installed it is a very close match.

I will get a pic up tomorrow after my camera battery charges.

I yanked out the entire Kitchen area today. Found soaked carpet, a Water heater tank that is rusted through. I got all of that out, and now it has 100 pounds less of that musty smell these old campers get.

I have no idea how I am going to re-do the Kitchen part, but one will just pop into my head one of these days....LOL