Motorcycle Rack

Lee & Joan

Hello, I am absolutely new at this, just got a 86 21' Sunrader RD with the 22RE Auto last Friday, my first RV. I have been camping out of Toyota pickups with canopy pulling a motorcycle trailer for the last 28 years, it is time to move "indoors" now. I have seen photos of "Ken's 4X4 Sunrader" http://www.toyotamotorhomes.com/ken's_4x4_sunrader.htm IMG_3063_small.JPG wherehe has a Honda XR 400R mounted on the back, and I see 1 discussion here about a rear bicycle rack. Perhaps there are some other topics here that I don't know about ? Can someone point me to some links on the subject, either front or rear mounted, storebought or homemade. Thanks for the great site!

My '84 Dolphin hauled a Honda 90 on the rack and pulled a VW Bug before I purchased it and my pre-purchase inspection shows "0" damage anywhere. These little rigs are amazing for performance and comfort.

T.A.J.

Hello, I am absolutely new at this, just got a 86 21' Sunrader RD with the 22RE Auto last Friday, my first RV. I have been camping out of Toyota pickups with canopy pulling a motorcycle trailer for the last 28 years, it is time to move "indoors" now. I have seen photos of "Ken's 4X4 Sunrader" http://www.toyotamotorhomes.com/ken's_4x4_sunrader.htm IMG_3063_small.JPG wherehe has a Honda XR 400R mounted on the back, and I see 1 discussion here about a rear bicycle rack. Perhaps there are some other topics here that I don't know about ? Can someone point me to some links on the subject, either front or rear mounted, storebought or homemade. Thanks for the great site!

• 3 weeks later...

I think custom is the way you have to go. The rear frame will need to be beefed up considerably. Its not so much the weight as it is the weight and leverage when you hit that big bump in the road and constant up and down motion of the bike. There is no factory buy it off the shelf system that will just bolt in.

Greg, I agree. Yesterday my better half bought me an early Christmas present, a mechanics crawler board and I spent some time undernieth looking at the frame and running gear. They did a really poor job of attaching a fairly lightweight box "frame" to the end of the Toyota frame, just behind the axle. In fact it did not look like they did much to weld the top of the box to the Toyota. And this is the place you can no longer get a weld to because the floor is resting on that place... Does anybody know how to contact Ken of Ken's 4X4 Sunrader that has a Honda XR400R mounted on back?

Pink Dozers are quite a bit lighter than the yellow ones, & as you can plainly see in the photo, the dozer is a little smaller than the bike, so I thought I would build a roof rack for that since I just found out the fiberglass is reinforced with plywood. in the roof.. I saw this pink dozer on an obsqure road "Sherwood Road" that goes between Fort Bragg California and Highway 101 just south Laytonville. Local rumor is that the daughter had daddy paint it for her. Wonder how many gallons it took. Only some of the above is true (the Daddy paint it pink for me part) Silly me I have been hitting the expoxy resin in enclosed sunraderspaces again...

• 5 months later...

tn_gallery_4529_24_5590.jpg

This is how it turned out

tn_gallery_4529_24_41464.jpg

The way I have it balenced it puts 45#

of tounge weight on the ball.

I have two backup lights just under the rear window that can swivel side to side or up & down

In the top of the back window (inside) is the rear view camera

which I have wired to always be on while driving & it feeds directly into the 7" rear view mirror mounted LCD screen.

I really can not tell that it is back there as far as going up hills & it does not seem to effect MPG

Trailer capacity is 4'X8' 1750 # 6 ply tires, it really does not know there is a bike on it