Is the Toyota Hilux Cormorant M/home underpowered?

Re 1986 Toyota Hilux Clipper Cormorant Motor Home

We were about to purchase one of the above motorhomes, (probably the only one in NZ!), when I mentioned it to

my son who is an engineer.

His concern was the fact they are built on a ute chassis and only have a 2.4L motor, which will be put under strain with the load of the large motorhome body. The vehicle's gross weight is 5423lbs (2460 kgs). Presumably this is the unladen weight and would increase once loaded up for camping.

He stands to be corrected and there's nothing we would like more than for him to be wrong, but it makes sense. Is there anyone on the forum who has had, or currently has one who can let us know the performance and if the motor is standing up to the loading.

Need to know a.s.a.p. as the seller is waiting for an answer from us.

Thanks

The Clipper Cormorant is very rare everywhere, it seems. But it's not significantly different from thousands of other motorhomes that were built on the Toyota Pickup/Hilux chassis. They are rated with a GVWR of 6000lbs, no matter the 'builder'. Though not a ball of fire with either the 22RE or the 3.0 V6, they will get you there if you're not in a rush. Most with the 22RE seem to settle in to a cruising speed on the flat of 55-60mph. Hills will slow you down, as will stiff headwinds Bur if you don't mind sitting in the slow llane, they'll get you there. The 22RE engine has an excellent reputation for reliability. I've seen some advertised with ~250,000 miles.

All of the Toyota's until 89 had a 4 cylinder engine and tons of them are still out there running just fine. They are no ball of fire but they get you there just the same, your on vacation in a motor home what's the rush! I live in the north east US so our mountains are pretty puny by comparison to the west but we have lots of them and they tend to build very steep roads up them yeah a few I'm back to 2nd gear going pretty slow but I all ways manage to get to the other side and then it's fun going down the other side sort of like riding a bike! I guess the best way to explain it is very few loaded trucks pass me going up.

Another thing to consider is whether it is underpowered for your comfort zone. It would be worth an extended test drive over some varied roads to get a good feel. Even unloaded, you'll get to know very quickly how it feels going up hill.

andrew

Re 1986 Toyota Hilux Clipper Cormorant Motor Home

We were about to purchase one of the above motorhomes, (probably the only one in NZ!), when I mentioned it to

my son who is an engineer.

His concern was the fact they are built on a ute chassis and only have a 2.4L motor, which will be put under strain with the load of the large motorhome body. The vehicle's gross weight is 5423lbs (2460 kgs). Presumably this is the unladen weight and would increase once loaded up for camping.

He stands to be corrected and there's nothing we would like more than for him to be wrong, but it makes sense. Is there anyone on the forum who has had, or currently has one who can let us know the performance and if the motor is standing up to the loading.

Need to know a.s.a.p. as the seller is waiting for an answer from us.

Thanks