84 Dolphin propane tank

Fred3

So I brought home my new-to-us 84 Dolphin.

Never had horizontal propane tanks before. Now I do.

So... when I have my tanks filled... do I just drive up and they fill the tank while it is on the vehicle??? or do I remove it from the mount and hand carry it over???

Also... This still has the knob with 5 spokes, not the 3 spoke that comes with a tank that has the new OPD valve setup. Anybody got any wisdom as to what modifications do or do not need to be performed to have the propane "ok to fill"?

Don't quote me but I think even removable horizontal tanks are exempt because they have to be vented in order to be filled that means they can not be over filled like the old tanks. The fill nozzle is pretty long they may not be able to fill them in place. If it's a fixed tank it is exempt.

Exempt from needing the new valves? But what about age?

If I find I can't use the 30 pounder in the right rear of my SeaBreeze 900, I'm going to seriously investigate installing dual standard 20# BBQ cylinders vertical. The cost of the 20# horizontal ones is crazy ($138+). I figure that, if necessary, I can raise the closet floor (directly above). Anyone ever heard of this mod being done!

I'm going to take the tank in to a propane distributor for a fill-up and any up-to-date info I can get. I'll update with what I find out. Any specific questions anyone has while I'm there? Might be a week or two. We're spending this month with re-upholstery and seat covers, re-carpet the cab and wet-okole seat covers. New tires too. Some preventative roof maintenance. We leave for a run from Humboldt County CA, to Tahoe, then Nashville and back. Pretty extensive shakedown cruise. Just took delivery on 32 yards of upholstery fabric. Wife's pretty excited. She and a friend (mostly the friend) are doing the cushions. I'm doing the cab carpet and seat covers and door panels.

I like this website/board.

I'd post a photo... but it's an 84 dolphin with the standard brown plaid interior, center bath rear dinette. Seen one seen 'em all.

When the interior is done, we'll post.

Fred3

Exempt from needing the new valves? But what about age?

If I find I can't use the 30 pounder in the right rear of my SeaBreeze 900, I'm going to seriously investigate installing dual standard 20# BBQ cylinders vertical. The cost of the 20# horizontal ones is crazy ($138+). I figure that, if necessary, I can raise the closet floor (directly above). Anyone ever heard of this mod being done!

No one has even looked twice at my fixed tank every one just hooked it up and off I go it does take a special fitting to fill it and you have to open the bleeder screw but no one has ever questioned it. I don't know Derek a 20# tank will last a long time if you are not running the heater maybe a flexible hose and sit it on the ground? Maybe not I would forget it and drag it down the road.

• 2 weeks later...

The existing tank failed to pass it's inspection.

I went online and ordered a new horizontal tank. One dealer had a Manchester brand with a level indicator like the original, but it is 1/2" too tall for the compartment. I went with a 20# steel from an online dealer in Phoenix - $177 and change delivered.

Also been chasing roof leaks. Learned a good lesson. The roof air was installed by a dealer (prevous owner) 2 years ago. That's where the leak was. Remove the inside panel (from inside the cab) and there are bolts that tighten to "snug down" the foam rubber seal. I was sweating having to pull and re-seal the unit which was a pretty discouraging project for me. Found the solution with a google-search.

Also did "elastibond tape" in many places just as insurance.

There's nothing new under the sun...

Now I'm looking for a bolt to fasten the front seat down. Came to me with only three and a jury-rig for the fourth. Living in a small town there aren't any in the auto parts places. I'll have to hit a junk-yard on my next excursion.

Pretty soon I'll have an $8,000 total investment into the motorhome. But it will be clean, dry, and road-ready.

I may be putting too much $ into this, but I like it and don't really have regrets. We'll see how it feels on December 4th when we've put on an additional 5,500 miles.

My neighbors are these super talented older retirees who can fix or improve anything, it seems. They did our re-upolstery for us. They have purchased two brand-new motorhomes in their lifetime, one at around $60k and one at around $100k. They tell me they leaked too... right from new delivery. Multiple warranty visits to fix the leaks failed. They finally had to do it themselves. So... I feel ok about my 84 dolphin.

Fred3

Edited by Fred3

Well... Tightening the bolts for the a/c didn't stop the leak. Turns out the previous owner's installation did not include the foam rubber seal ring... they just used black tarry goop - smells like black jack tar for house-shingle repairs. As a result, I took the roof a/c off. It is an older unit. Patched the hole. This coming summer I think I'll replace roof vents and fix the roof as needed. Having had 6 rv's now, we've only used roof air once while in Phoenix during September.

We leave for the 30 day trip in 2 days, we hope. Got the new horizontal propane tank. Had it evacuated and filled. Now I have a frozen regulator probably due to water in the tank or the propane that filled it. As a result, the appliances don't operate right.

Anybody been down this road before? Got suggestions?

Fred3