access door supplier

idaho

Hello, I was wondering where to get the access door for the exterior of my '87 Dolphin 21'. It is the one for the fridge. Can I get an original new one still or will I have to use a generic? Thanks all.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you mean the outside one? Do you have the old one or is it missing completely? The old one should be stamped with something like "Dometic RM2214R". If you have that info you can match it up by that with a competent RV parts store. They sell just the grate. If you are unable to match your style you can buy a whole frame/door assembly for under $40. You'll have to pull the plastic trim off to expose the screws. They are often square headed screws so a trip to Home Depot for the correct bits or driver may be required. Remove the screws, clean the old butyl tape off and compare where the holes are. If not lined up perfectly you can either drill holes in the new frame in the right spots or drill new holes in the RV. I prefer to do it on the mount as that is easily replaceable if I screw it up. Next apply butyl tape and install the new frame. If you can source stainless steel fasteners that's even better as they won't drip rust down 10 years from now. Reinstall the trim and you are done.

Do you mean the outside one? Do you have the old one or is it missing completely? The old one should be stamped with something like "Dometic RM2214R". If you have that info you can match it up by that with a competent RV parts store. They sell just the grate. If you are unable to match your style you can buy a whole frame/door assembly for under $40. You'll have to pull the plastic trim off to expose the screws. They are often square headed screws so a trip to Home Depot for the correct bits or driver may be required. Remove the screws, clean the old butyl tape off and compare where the holes are. If not lined up perfectly you can either drill holes in the new frame in the right spots or drill new holes in the RV. I prefer to do it on the mount as that is easily replaceable if I screw it up. Next apply butyl tape and install the new frame. If you can source stainless steel fasteners that's even better as they won't drip rust down 10 years from now. Reinstall the trim and you are done.

Thanks Diesel, here's a pic of the one I need. I will check for a number tomorrow.

DSC04825.jpg

Edited by idaho

That's the one I'm referring to in my directions. The part that's missing is where it probably said Dometic. May still have the rest of it on the right. A well stocked RV store or one with a competent parts person more than likely has just the door. If they claim they don't, ask to look in their catalog. Most RV dealers have these 7-800 page catalog full of things you can order with great pictures. If you can't make out a number, get the L x W dimensions. If all else fails find a new frame/door assembly. You may be somewhat limited as you have very little extra clearance on either side to play with. Never seen one placed like that. So can you reach a cold beer while driving?

Not sure if I mentioned it before. These things come in a few different colors. White and off-white being the most common. May be a good idea to bring in the old one.

HotWheels032.jpg

That's the one I'm referring to in my directions. The part that's missing is where it probably said Dometic. May still have the rest of it on the right. A well stocked RV store or one with a competent parts person more than likely has just the door. If they claim they don't, ask to look in their catalog. Most RV dealers have these 7-800 page catalog full of things you can order with great pictures. If you can't make out a number, get the L x W dimensions. If all else fails find a new frame/door assembly. You may be somewhat limited as you have very little extra clearance on either side to play with. Never seen one placed like that. So can you reach a cold beer while driving?

Not sure if I mentioned it before. These things come in a few different colors. White and off-white being the most common. May be a good idea to bring in the old one.

Lol thanks for the quick reply :) Yep, I probably could grab a beer on the road. If you notice the doors in my avatar pic, you'll see the previous owner brushed painted them brown. Looks like crap!

Edited by idaho

Hello, I was wondering where to get the access door for the exterior of my '87 Dolphin 21'. It is the one for the fridge. Can I get an original new one still or will I have to use a generic? Thanks all.

i think national shut down by i suspect the access door is pretty generic anyway - get the dimensions & check the big suppliers is where i would start.