Recently picked up a 86 Dolphin, the rear bumper (4" square steel ) is rusted, which given the year and that it contains the sewer slinky, its acceptable. I searched but couldnt find any one tackling this issue. I wanted to add the Curt 2" hitch receiver that clamps on to the bumper but I dont feel comfortable with the see-through state of my bumper. The rest of the frame/supports are not rusted.

I think using a 4" or 6" PVC pipe with carrier caps to store the slinky will work better, weld on a receiver for hitch racks (not towing), any suggestions? anyone find a 4" square replacement bumper?

thanks 

Have you tried your local RV store?

Yea,went to a guy i know in the area where i've taken all my business in the past... they quoted me 1200 for a 'rear bumper convenience unit" with integrated back up lights, sewer slinky hose 'compartment' and hitch.. that includes installation (weld and paint).  They couldnt price a 4" replacement bumper, and suggested I go to a metal wholesaler (will try one in the Bronx I know, but I'm just curious what other people have done, not too enthused about buying a 8 foot 1/8" thick 4" square metal beam when it doesnt solve anything other than someone rear ending me?

point is to remedy and upgrade not just fix... 

I welded a 4 1/2 by 3/16 steel tube for a bumper. They dont make a 4 1/2 in 1/8 inch or I would have gotten that instead. I used the 4 1/2 inch because my poop tube doesn't fit in a 4 inch tube. Its 4 on the outside and I need 4 on the inside. I then welded on a hitch receiver for extra storage/bike carrier ect. Off of the bumper I also made a rack to hold 3 whitewater kayaks.

<br />I welded a 4 1/2 by 3/16 steel tube for a bumper.  They dont make a 4 1/2 in 1/8 inch or I would have gotten that instead.  I used the 4 1/2 inch because my poop tube doesn't fit in a 4 inch tube.  Its 4 on the outside and I need 4 on the inside.  I then welded on a hitch receiver for extra storage/bike carrier ect.  Off of the bumper I also made a rack to hold 3 whitewater kayaks.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Craige, any chance you could post some pictures? what hitch did you weld on? how much was the 4 1/2" square bar?

thanks

Take a close look at what you are welding it to there is not much there maybe a 1/8 piece of sheet metal tack welded to a frame extension.

When I first bought my Sunrader, it's 4" bumper was rusted through. I bought a 4x4 square tube cut to the length I wanted for $50. I cleaned it and welded it to the frame extention after cutting off the old bumper. I also welded additional supports to the frame so I could add a 2' receiver. My 4 inch bumper fits the standard sewer slinky just fine, even though the metal is thicker than the original bumper. The attached photo shows the bumper after several years of use. I painted it with epoxy paint and added the reflectors and trim strip.

Allen

post-481-070199100 1284040457_thumb.jpg

I also welded additional supports to the frame so I could add a 2' receiver

I'm looking to weld a 2'' receiver hitch on to my 90 dolphin, where did you have to weld the additional supports?:blush:

Bilo

• 4 weeks later...

thanks for the pic and info, looks great. 

I cut off the rusted 4" bumper and the u-channel bracket that attaches it to the frame extension. I found a ford F-150 hitch on Craigslist for $25, figured it would be a good starting point - cut and weld to fit the rv frames. 

The only reason I wanted a hitch was because i wanted a bike rack and I thought that would be the simplest way to do it. I was driving on the highway paying attention to how people hauled there bikes, and not pleased with anything I saw. I decided to weld one up like this: http://www.socaltrai...ack-build.html 

Then I realized it doesnt make sense to bother with a hitch, when i can extend the frame extenders with 2" tubing, then into that i have 1.5" tubing, secured by pins, which extends two feet. Now I have two solid rails on which I can build a nice stable platform style bike rack. 

Another reason, is that this way you dont have to try to clear the tanks..etc, allowing the rack to sit higher

I'l take some pictures tomorrow, probably start a new thread including installation of my rear view camera in place of the rear center ceiling light. 

Edited by hellspcangel911

Thanks. I'm trying to limit the number of forums I sign up with. I already spend way too much time on the one's I've already joined!

I assume they tie the bike down somehow. Wouldn't want an expensive piece of equipment like that to jump out after you hit a pothole!

Is that a homemade setup designed by someone on the Forum?

Thanks. I'm trying to limit the number of forums I sign up with. I already spend way too much time on the one's I've already joined!

I assume they tie the bike down somehow. Wouldn't want an expensive piece of equipment like that to jump out after you hit a pothole!

Is that a homemade setup designed by someone on the Forum?

Yes sir, someone on the SoCal bike forum (not this forum) did it all by himself, actually its a two part rack, the other part slides into the back to hold 4 bikes. 

I still can't see any way to secure the bikes from bouncing off other than using some toe-straps around the rims.

I picked up at a garage sale a home made rack that is similar except that there's a vertical post that has adjustable arms that hold/press down on the top tube. Also designed as a 2 part rack for either 2 or 4 bikes. Haven't got any pictures.

I still can't see any way to secure the bikes from bouncing off other than using some toe-straps around the rims.

I picked up at a garage sale a home made rack that is similar except that there's a vertical post that has adjustable arms that hold/press down on the top tube. Also designed as a 2 part rack for either 2 or 4 bikes. Haven't got any pictures.

Thats what i was originally doing, but its too difficult to make a good 'universal' arm. The builder of the one pictured above uses tie down straps  and toe straps. I will be doing the same as well as welding up a removable wheel chuck that secures the bike from rolling off.. 

since the whole thing is metal and removable, I will start with just the wheel gutters mounted to the two rails, then the rim hoop.. and then add on till the bikes are secure, finish off with epoxy-coat and reflective tape on the rear.