I took my 85 22 re escaper out yesterday and noticed that the engine rpm were higher than normal when it shifted into high gear. I thought at first that the OD switch was off but that was not the case. I push the botton and discovered that it had no effect at all. It would not shift until 55 mph. I discovered that when I put it in Drive 2 and then moved it to Drive at about 40 mph it would shift normal however the OD switch stilll does not seem to work. Any suggestion would be appreciated. TDS in Louisiana

It sounds like you have a shift cable issue. If you force shift it that's normal. There is a cable that goes to the transmission it is the lower one pull it back with your finger and see if it goes back in smoothly and pulls out smoothly if it does not the cable is bad. If it's not shifting to 3rd until 55 O/D may not work until it up shifts sooner.

Thanks that at least gives me a place to start looking

TDS

I am really interested to find out if te sifting cable will work. My 86 Coacmen as te excat same problem tat you ave described in your rig. I never ad any trouble with my transmission unitl recently. My tranny is slow on te up shift and will not come out of 3rd to go into o/d at all. I never ad tat trouble before, but here is wat I ave done so far to trouble shoot this problem.

Check the o/d relay - located on driver side near the ect unit

Ceck te ohms of the o/d solenoid - located on driver side of tranny.

I have a few other checks to complete before I rule this problem a mechanical problem within the tranny itself. Keep me posted.

It will be several days before I can get it up on a lift, but I will try to respond when I find the problem, thanks for your interest.

It occured to me that it may be a vacum problem also. Some transmission depend upon vacum to shift.

• 2 months later...

It will be several days before I can get it up on a lift, but I will try to respond when I find the problem, thanks for your interest.

Well I finally took it to my mechanic and I definitely have a problem with the shift cable. It was super loose but don't know why yet or if that has anything to do with the overdrive not working.

Will give report in a few days. TDS

I just changed and adjusted mine -- it was quite an experience because I had to take apart the valve body -- but got it working. The cable alone cost more than a hundred. Kim

Well I finally took it to my mechanic and I definitely have a problem with the shift cable. It was super loose but don't know why yet or if that has anything to do with the overdrive not working.

Will give report in a few days. TDS

No vacuum on the Toyota just a cable. The cable has to run free if you pull it back with your finger you'll come to a point where it pulls harder and then you'll feel it sort of "click" over and stop then it should return freely and all the way back. To adjust it have a friend push the peddle to the floor back off both nuts on the bracket pull the outside of the cable back all the way bring the nut up to the bracket then back it off one turn bring the other nut to the bracket and tighten them together.

No vacuum on the Toyota just a cable. The cable has to run free if you pull it back with your finger you'll come to a point where it pulls harder and then you'll feel it sort of "click" over and stop then it should return freely and all the way back. To adjust it have a friend push the peddle to the floor back off both nuts on the bracket pull the outside of the cable back all the way bring the nut up to the bracket then back it off one turn bring the other nut to the bracket and tighten them together.

Hopefully your shift cable is the only problem. It is the cheapest of the two likely causes of late shifting. I had the same problem, and it turned out to be a worn output shaft seal. This allowed the pressure in the system to drop and not shift at all into OD, and only into 3rd while the fluid was cold and thicker. Once replaced, the tranny drove better than ever and I can actually get to 60 without dropping back into 3rd!

The fix is well written up by Spungo elsewhere on the forums. His write up saved my about a $1000 in unneeded repairs that the first tranny guy estimated. Once i knew exactly what needed replacing, the shop down the road did it for $300 plus parts. Thanks Spungo!

Hopefully your shift cable is the only problem. It is the cheapest of the two likely causes of late shifting. I had the same problem, and it turned out to be a worn output shaft seal. This allowed the pressure in the system to drop and not shift at all into OD, and only into 3rd while the fluid was cold and thicker. Once replaced, the tranny drove better than ever and I can actually get to 60 without dropping back into 3rd!

The fix is well written up by Spungo elsewhere on the forums. His write up saved my about a $1000 in unneeded repairs that the first tranny guy estimated. Once i knew exactly what needed replacing, the shop down the road did it for $300 plus parts. Thanks Spungo!

They did have some issues with broken governor rings unfortunately the trans has to come apart to fix them they would make the trans shift when it felt like, not at all or not down shift maybe even quick shift very erratic shifting the cable either shifts late or early.

• 3 weeks later...

I pick up the Toy and drove it about 300 miles and it is working good again. the problem was the cable as advise by others in this list. He did not replace it at this time but was able to free it up by working it back and forth with marvel mystery oiil in side the cable. Freeing this up also allowed my overdrive to work. I know that I may have to replace it later but wanted to make this tripto to Big Ben National park first.

I was in the shop primarily to have the dash a/c repaired. That keeps the wife happy.

They did have some issues with broken governor rings unfortunately the trans has to come apart to fix them they would make the trans shift when it felt like, not at all or not down shift maybe even quick shift very erratic shifting the cable either shifts late or early.

The cable has a plastic liner inside and they ware where it makes a bend it's probably cut through but as long as it works your smiling at lease you know what it is.