Roof AC install

I think I am going to go with a Coleman 13,000 btu unit. I like the Champion 3500 generator for a cheap portable. I might even be able to fit it in the compartment.

When it comes to wiring it up, since there is an AC 20 amp fuse there should be wires by one of the roof vents. I had them apart for cleaning, but did not see any wires. Would they most likely be in the middle roof vent or rear? Where to look?

Also there is an electrical box on the inside (Inside the camper, but mounted to the outside of the storage compartment box). The outside compartment box to which I refer is the one that I believe can hold a generator. Is this electrical box for the generator to tap into or is it for something else? Not sure if I can access it since the interior of the generator storage area is covered with carpet. Do I pull the carpet down and will I see an access point or do I have to drill through or does that electrical box have to do with something else?

My two lights in the above cab bed area do not work. No power with a test light. Source of those wires? Where do I go digging?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I have seen a junction box for the A/C units inside of the over head cabinets on some you might check and see if there is one, the A/C wire may have stopped in the "J" box and you'll need to add a bit more to make it to the A/C unit. The wiring in the box is most likely for the generator you may have a socket inside of the door you power cord lives in the drill there is to plug you power cord into the socket a very effective power transfer switch.

There is a two plug junction box in the cabinet above the Stove (silver). There is also another two plug outlet facing down in the other cabinet (black). see photo. When I get the AC unit do I wire a plug onto it and just plug it in or do they come with a plug already?

The generator junction box does not have a plug, but what looks like a red button in the center. I cut a sqare in the carpet on the inside of the generator compartment, but behind the carpet is just wood. I must have to cut a whole in the wood and then know one of the holes out on the junction box to hard wire in the generator. Can I change the junction box and make it so you can plug in a generator? see pics

post-4052-12805010438597_thumb.jpg

post-4052-12805010789301_thumb.jpg

post-4052-12805011159193_thumb.jpg

Here is pics of the outside and inside of the fuze panel. Looks like it is set up to have AC.

Question: If I turn on the main fuse and I have any light switches on they shut off. Also am I suppose to have the main fuze on when I plug the RV into an extension cord from the house?

post-4052-12805028361884_thumb.jpg

post-4052-12805028506852_thumb.jpg

OK if you install a generator you have to have some kind of transfer switch. The object there is to keep your power cord plug from becoming live while the generator is running or back charging the power lines. The easiest method on a new install is to wire the generator output to a 30 amp 120 volt socket then if you want generator power you just plug your power cord into the 30 amp socket. This of course is not necessary with a portable generator. As far as your A/C power it's some thing you'll just have to track down you can buy a tester that is non contact you do not need to touch any bear wires it will sense voltage through the jacket. Turn the 15 amp breakers off (leave the main 30 amp on) turn on the 20 (A/C) and see where the power goes.

I opened the generator junction box. (see pic) That red button is a circut breaker or fuse thing. I assume that I can just wire a plug utilizing that circut breaker on the junction box. Black to black, white to white and ground.

What type of plug should I wire in? The portable 3500 generator comes with 120V/240V Twist lock, 120V RV Receptacle, Single 120 Volts Receptacle. If I slide the portable into the generator space I can then just plug it in. I still have to drill a small whole for the plug wire to go through, so I can plug into the portable.

I know, don't run the gernator in there. I have an idea for a ram air with a fan and run an extension exhaust tube with additional honda muffler.

AS far as the AC plug in connection I am sure that silver plug junction box in the cabinet is the 20 amp connection, but I will see if i can borrow a guage and check. Therefore I can just wire a 30 amp plug in cord and just plug in the roof AC. Correct?

PS. You did not answer my question about the main fuse? Should my interior lights go off when I turn it on? Does this meain the main 30 amp fuse is bad? Should I carry extra fuses? Are they standard fuses you can get anywhere?

Thanks

post-4052-12806187819372_thumb.jpg

Your picture looks like some type of 12 volt wiring. If you are going to use a portable generator you don't need to worry about the wiring for a add on generator just plug in your power cord to the generator. There are very few generators that have a 30 amp 120 volt outlet so you'll need a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter any RV store will have one. A twist lock socket on a portable generator will be 240 volt don't wire to that. Your 30 amp breaker protects all the other breakers it is a main breaker your lights will stay on because they are running off the battery you will lose all the outlets but not your interior lights the breaker panel only controls 120 volt wiring.

I want to run a short plug (2-3 ft) from the generator junction box to the portable sitting inside the box. This is for when I want to run the AC as I am driving down the road. (keep the dogs cool). Which plug should I wire it up for? 120 outlet? Unless there is a place to hard wire the portbale and not use a plug.

I don't think I want to use the main camper power cord connection and have 8 foot cord swaying down the side as I go down the road.

So if I turn on the main while I have my camper inteior lights on and they go off, what does that mean?

Should just fit.

Dimensions: 23-1/4"L x 17-1/2"W x 17-1/4"H.

Weight: 100 lbs.

Should just fit.

Dimensions: 23-1/4"L x 17-1/2"W x 17-1/4"H.

Weight: 100 lbs.

Wow. I'm impressed. What MH have you got with such a big locker? I've just bought a generator with the following dimensions:-

Length.....................................................................15.0 in.

Width.......................................................................18.5 in.

Height....................................................................16.38 in.

Weight......................................................................60 lbs.

It won't fit in either MH I own, the main problem being height. The SeaBreeze locker is only 12 1/2" high!! Not quite sure what I'm going to do to carry it, but it was 1400w, new and only $100! Maybe bumper mounted, if I can't figure out how to 'elegantly' make the locker bigger!

http://www.homelite.com/catalog/generators/HGCA1400

Not big enough to run the HVAC, but better than nothing. I just hope that their "Noise Reduced Spark Arrestor Muffler" isn't too noisy. I haven't had a chance to run it yet.

I would be real careful about running a portable generator inside the RV box, exhaust, heat, fueling and noise not a real good ideal unless it is designed to be in the box. Most RV generators exhaust out the bottom both cooling air and engine exhaust and they get their fuel from the MH gas tank. I have seen it done but I value my MH too much to try it. If your lights go out there is a problem with the converter.