I have an 87 sunrader with a kohler generator. The muffler is rusted out and exhaust gets in the camper. I cant find a new one. I was thinking of cutting it out and having some other muffler welded in. I am not sure where I would find a muffler to fit so I am also thinking I might change the exhaust around a little. Has anyone done any projects like this I am looking for sugestions and advice.

Thanks

mmtoy1,

I have an '88 Sunrader with a Kohler 2.5. These use a Tecomseh engine and my muffler was totally rusted out too. I found a "quiet muffler" thru "Jacks Small Engines" for about $80. It took some customizing to support and connect. I'm not sure if its quieter with the new muffler or without any. Its so loud I cringe whenever I start it up. I think a muffler shop might be able to fit a better muffler by extending the exhaust pipe back under the rig but at this point I have other more pressing improvements and I only run it when I'm driving in my Arizona heat and want to run the rooftop ac. I even looked into the Onan 2.8 MicroLite for the future - it would fit into the compartment if I cut a bigger opening in the fiberglass body, but again its still now down the list of priorities.

Seamus McShank

I have an 87 sunrader with a kohler generator. The muffler is rusted out and exhaust gets in the camper. I cant find a new one. I was thinking of cutting it out and having some other muffler welded in. I am not sure where I would find a muffler to fit so I am also thinking I might change the exhaust around a little. Has anyone done any projects like this I am looking for sugestions and advice.

Thanks

same genset on winnebago/itasca. My local kohler dealer says the muffler is no longer made, but he got a quote for >$1,000 from kohler.

I got a used onan, welded the exhaust pipe from the old rig to it and added a tailpipe. It worked ok but it vibrated too much & eventually cracked just off the weld.

I totaled the camper so no 2nd try, however I was planning to buy a similar shaped muffler that would clamp into the original bracket http://tewarehouse.com/2406812-S or such. http://tewarehouse.com/Catalog?search=muffler&range=41,80,187

Note that the techumseh 6hp TVM engine has threads for a muffler - they are 3/4" pipe I think. I bought a muffler at an ace hardware (also available at any muffler shop) for about $6 -- just remember to open your genset compartment door before starting (I am guessing that the sunrader has a similar setup). You could use pipe to reroute. The threads are visible after removing the hex screws that hold the exhaust pipe and pipe.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1272741&kw=muffler&origkw=muffler&searchId=49937561163