12 volt built in night lights

Excalibur

Just finished my little project (heh) and it works great. I needed some low-draw night lights I could use without waking the kids or the spouse for those late night bathroom runs. I bought 3 red single LED's. They are the second ones down on this page http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&category=ACCENTS&Page2Disp=/pt/wired.html

Make sure you don't get the flashing ones!!

I wired 2 into a switch at the entry door. They are aimed to light the sink and the entryway. Wired one over the portapotti (incorporated it into an existing light that had a 2-way bulb function (bright and dim - using a taillight bulb). Removed the wire for the dim function, and aimed it downward over the portapotti.

Can't wait to try them out tonight when it gets semi-dark around 11 (isn't summer in northern latitudes fun). These little things are so simple to wire in for some accent lighting that you don't have to worry about leaving on!

EX.

I just about did the same thing only I bought an amber 2- LED ,clearance light at Northern Tool ( M1 in the truck trailer series) for around $7 (Your lights were much cheaper) and a push on/push off switch at Radio shack and took the vent trim off the bathroom vent and drilled a hole large enough for the switch to fit in and then ran a wire from the hot side of the vent fan switch, and to the new switch then from the new switch to the LED light and mounted it next to the trim (that way no wires show) . Also ran a negative (white wire ) from the light to the overhead metal ceiling frame (or to the ground side of the fan). PRESTO ! a night light that lights the bathroom all night for pennies. Hope someone else can do this that needs it.

Before the night light , I had a solar lawn light that I charged in the sun during day and at night, turned it upside down and left it under the dinning table. It would last all night but have to be charged again the next day. Was hard chasing the sun during the day if trees were present.

I KNOW, some people can't sleep with a night light and has to have it pitch black dark!

But we are retired and learned to deal with the nightlight , really better than having doctor bills for stumbling or falling.

Edited by Homer