Roof air

Hello toy rv bretheren. I actually have 2 questions. The first, is there a convertion kit to allow a freon charge to a roof AC? I have a sealed coleman 9.6 kbtu. The second is my furnace doesn't heat. The fan comes on but that's it. It worked well 2 weeks ago.

I don't know about a kit but valves can be added for hi and low side for servicing their are some clamp on piercing type& solder on which are better but it can be checked by temps also. The 9000 BTU unit is just barely enough cooling for a 21 footer adding freon if it doesn't need it won't help. I'm wondering where you live the furnace is the last thing on my mind at this time.

I don't know about a kit but valves can be added for hi and low side for servicing their are some clamp on piercing type& solder on which are better but it can be checked by temps also. The 9000 BTU unit is just barely enough cooling for a 21 footer adding freon if it doesn't need it won't help. I'm wondering where you live the furnace is the last thing on my mind at this time.

Yes I understand your wisdom Tom. I live in the Fresno area of Calif, and camped in Lasan Natiional Park 2 weeks ago. My wife has a comfort zone between 68 and 72. It got down to 40, so you see why I asked about the furnace. I bought this coach 8 months ago and am trying to make all things right. My gen is a Kohler 2.5kw which is probably boarderline as well. We are going to Kings Canyon National Park on Weds to escape the heat, so I was hoping to meet her comfort zone. I do thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Yes I understand your wisdom Tom. I live in the Fresno area of Calif, and camped in Lasan Natiional Park 2 weeks ago. My wife has a comfort zone between 68 and 72. It got down to 40, so you see why I asked about the furnace. I bought this coach 8 months ago and am trying to make all things right. My gen is a Kohler 2.5kw which is probably boarderline as well. We are going to Kings Canyon National Park on Weds to escape the heat, so I was hoping to meet her comfort zone. I do thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Mikie,

Went to the bottom of King's Canyon last year and wish I could get back again. Anyway when you first turn on the furnace the blower motor will run for about ten seconds before the gas valve opens and igniter sparks. If you only get the fan motor, check the voltage at the furnace. It will not let the gas valve operate if your voltage is not pretty full; in this way if the battery is low and the fan slows down the furnace will not overheat and cause a fire. Can you hear the furnace "clicking" shortly after the fan begins to run? If you do the igniter is sparking - that would leave the gas valve as suspect. If full voltage and no clicking then look at the igniter. Hope this helps.

Seamus McShank

Mikie,

Went to the bottom of King's Canyon last year and wish I could get back again. Anyway when you first turn on the furnace the blower motor will run for about ten seconds before the gas valve opens and igniter sparks. If you only get the fan motor, check the voltage at the furnace. It will not let the gas valve operate if your voltage is not pretty full; in this way if the battery is low and the fan slows down the furnace will not overheat and cause a fire. Can you hear the furnace "clicking" shortly after the fan begins to run? If you do the igniter is sparking - that would leave the gas valve as suspect. If full voltage and no clicking then look at the igniter. Hope this helps.

Seamus McShank

I'll check for the "clicking" sound and measure voltage. Thanks Seamus

• 2 weeks later...

Mikie,

Plugging in to 110v shore power should engage your converter/charger, your voltage should rise because of this, and if that makes the furnace work I would guess that without shore power your battery is not holding enough charge on its own. Pick up a cheap digital meter and compare the voltage of the battery unplugged vs. plugged in.

Seamus McShank

The fan has to turn at a pretty good clip there is a gadget call a sail switch the air from the fan moves the switch and allow the gas valve to open if there is enough air flow. A low battery, dry fan bearings or even a bee nest will have an effect on the amount of air the fan can deliver. By plugging it in that will give you full battery power allowing the fan to turn as fast as it can if that works you'll need to find out why.

• 4 weeks later...

I've simce found the isolator isn't passing the alternater current to the coach side. I replaced it and that problem is resolved. After camping in Yosemite last week (tons of bear) after 4 days I tested the furnace and it wouldn't work. I started the truck engine and walla it came on. A simple act for you folks but a new lesson for me. Again I thank you for your help.