Fuel gauge sender

picklebill

Hi all - It appears that I have a bad fuel gauge sender assembly. I have checked the gauge and wiring behind the instrument cluster and all is OK. It appears that Toyota no longer provides this part and I am wondering if there is a place on the web to locate one. This is on an 18 foot 1982 Sunrader with the factory 16 gallon tank (according to the owners manual). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

I just came across this site:-

http://tristarrradiator.com/

Hi Derek - Thanks for the link, I too recently came across it. I guess I have to face the reality of having to remove the gas tank. Probably going to be a real adventure doing it in my driveway with no hoist. But luckily, the tank has a drain plug, so at least I can remove it when empty.

Bill

• 6 months later...

Hi Derek - Thanks for the link, I too recently came across it. I guess I have to face the reality of having to remove the gas tank. Probably going to be a real adventure doing it in my driveway with no hoist. But luckily, the tank has a drain plug, so at least I can remove it when empty.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Adventure does not begin to describe this. I am currently in the process of removing the fuel tank. The main problem being that I cannot get the coach up high enough to get to the fuel lines so I can get any torque on the fittings that attach to the tank. My biggest problem is getting the 14MM steel line loose from the 19MM rubber flex hose that attaches the supply line to the tank. Got them broke loose but they get to a certain place and then tighten back up. Have used "Bust em" on fittings and went yesterday and purchased a 14MM line wrench to try and grip the supply line better. Will try this when the temp gets warmer today. If this doesn't work, guess I'll cut lines and go to rubber hose w/o fittings, just screw down clamps for replacement. Will be interesting when I get the fuel sending unit/fuel pump assembly out to see what I find since the fuel guage is not working, Wish me luck!

Hi Bill,

Adventure does not begin to describe this. I am currently in the process of removing the fuel tank. The main problem being that I cannot get the coach up high enough to get to the fuel lines so I can get any torque on the fittings that attach to the tank. My biggest problem is getting the 14MM steel line loose from the 19MM rubber flex hose that attaches the supply line to the tank. Got them broke loose but they get to a certain place and then tighten back up. Have used "Bust em" on fittings and went yesterday and purchased a 14MM line wrench to try and grip the supply line better. Will try this when the temp gets warmer today. If this doesn't work, guess I'll cut lines and go to rubber hose w/o fittings, just screw down clamps for replacement. Will be interesting when I get the fuel sending unit/fuel pump assembly out to see what I find since the fuel guage is not working, Wish me luck!

Just an update, had to cut the rubber high pressure line from the tank fuel pump to the supply line to the fuel filter to get the tank out. Found out that the 14 MM screws into the 19 MM beyound the threads and sometimes flares out inside the 19 MM fitting so that it is almost impossible to unscrew. I now have a salvage yard which is local trying to find a matching fuel line and rubber high pressure hose. The rubber hose with screw on clamps that I originally planned to use will not hold up to the high fuel line pressure. On the good side, when I got the fuel tank out, I found the sending unit was frozen up with rust and was able to clean it up and free it up, plugged it back in to the electical plug by the frame and manually work the sending unit and it goes up from 0 to full. Checked the plastic float and it does not have any holes, hopefully it will register fuel level correctly since it is obsolete. Waiting on replacement parts and a warmer day to install them, will reply with finished results.

What fuel pressure are you expecting in the line? There's some interesting information about FI hose and clamps (not Toyota specific) here:-

http://www.ratwell.c.../FuelHoses.html

Thanks Derek for the info. I don't know what the pressure is but the Toyota repair/salvage yard owner/mechanic stated that he had experience with the rubber hose with clamps coming to his shop with blisters/bubbles on them where they could not hold the pressure. I didn 't want to chance this with a fire potential going down the road, figure better safe than sorry.

I can understand the concern. Perhaps what he saw was regular, low pressure (i.e. carburetor) hose. It's very cheap compared to 'correct' FI hose and clamps. Some people try to cut corners in the wrong places! I wouldn't hesitate to use the correct hose and clamps.

image002.jpg

EDIT: Did a bit of poking around. Seems the 22RE needs 40-45psig. Not terribly high, as FI goes.

I've got a question, When did the Toyota Pickup get the 22RE engine? I have an 83 Sunrader with a mechanical fuel pump on the engine (22R). I've repaired my fuel sender and replaced all gaskets on the tank. I installed new rubber lines on all of the fittings with clamps, no high pressure FI lines were there.

Just wonderin'

Allen

I think it was earlier. 84 or 85, from my feeble memory. But again, no need for high pressure hose as long as it's rated for gasoline. You've probably only got 4 psi in the system. And the mechanical fuel pump mounted on the engine will be sucking, so it's actually -ve pressure from the tank to the pump.

I think it was earlier. 84 or 85, from my feeble memory. But again, no need for high pressure hose as long as it's rated for gasoline. You've probably only got 4 psi in the system. And the mechanical fuel pump mounted on the engine will be sucking, so it's actually -ve pressure from the tank to the pump.

Hey Derek,

First FI was in 1987. Just an update on my fun with the fuel tank and sending unit. Got it off and found the sending unit frozen up, cleaned it and put everything back together. Had to get a used rubber line with fittings on both ends to attach to the fuel tank. Everything works great. Just went on a 2 day trip and it was so pleasant to be able to view a working fuel guage versus writing down mileage to keep up with available fuel. Not an easy job for a 68 YO working in a drive way but well worth it. Now if I can just figure out what is leaking in the bathroom and wetting the carpet under the commode.

Did some Googling and it sure looks like the 22R-E was introduced in the pickup in '84 (or '85). Even car-part.com shows the 22R-E starting in '84 in the pickup. Wikipedia even says the R-E was introduced (I'm assuming in cars) in '82.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Hilux

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/faq/

http://www.toyoland.com/trucks/tacoma-hilux.html

Both Dolphin and Escaper mention Fuel Injection in their '85 literature.

• 3 months later...

My first trip out this last weekend showed the dash gas gauge "wandering". It would read just shy of full when it was all the way full. Sometimes it would work its way fairly fast down to half full and need 6 gallons to fill back up. Sometimes it would drop to 1/4 full then back up to 3/4 full. It seemed to get better as the weekend progressed. I am assuming that it is a poor connection at the tank float gauge? Do I have to drop the tank to get to the wires there?

Hi Lee and Joan,

It sounds like your problem may be a bad connection at the plug for the sender at the tank. Our rig is an 18' 1983 so it may have some differences - the main one being the fact that yours has fuel injection and ours does not. Look for the wires coming off of the sender ( it is probably on the top of the tank at the rear). There should be an inline 2 conductor plug visible near the rear of the tank. If you can find it, disconnect it and spray it with contact cleaner and see if this clears the problem. Another test would be to short the 2 contacts together that are on the plug on the wires going toward the gauge and with the ignition key in the run position, the gauge should read full or slightly above full and stay steady at this reading. It may be that you do have a bad sender. If so, I'm pretty sure that Toyota still has the sender available, and you will need to drop the tank to change it. The only problem I had removing the tank was getting the various hoses off and back on. Make sure you carefully label them! Also, my tank has a drain plug so I was able to empty it before removal. I would recommend if you do drop the tank, that you replace the fuel pump - it may save you from having to do the job again later.

I hope this helps - it may be that you rig has a way different tank than ours and this info won't be useful.

After removing the tank on our rig twice, I was able to repair the sender and it has been fine for about a year now.

Good luck!

Bill