Help! need tips on getting into the back!

cheryle

Hi, I just aquired an 88 Toyota Odyssey. I am a Sr who has trouble getting to the back from the cab.

is this just me or does anyone else find it difficult? Yes I have taken out the bed section to make it easier.

I have thought about installing an extra grab bar somewhere to help me do this. I dont want to always have to exit the vehicle for safety reasons ie at night etc.

Any ideas are very welcome! thanks!

Yeah it is not exactly easy just getting turned around in it's self is not easy there is not much space I'm not sure where you could put an assist bar that would help. I guess I qualify as a senior and I get out and go around.

I guess I'm still limber enough to have not had too much trouble scrambling from front to back. I guess having the steering wheel tilted all the way up and perhaps partially reclining the driver's seat would help. And the passenger seat upright and all the way forward. Beyond that, perhaps Yoga lessons? I'm not too sure about grab handles, since I find I've been more crawling than 'walking' through the improbably named 'walk-through'. Unless, of course, you're awfully short!

Thanks so much for sharing Maineah and Derek. Wow I never thought of that Duh.....move the steering wheel forward, the seat, the passenger seat.......and yes will figure out where to put a grab bar or two. I have mostly

tried this from passenger seat. Havent driven it yet lol it is always intimidating to learn new things but I am sure I will do well. I drove an 18 wheeler all by myself all over the country for 6 months. Now am intimidate by this how funny........but that was 10 years ago it is a matter of getting used to things. I remember after being on the road for 6 months in that semi, when I got home and tried to drive my car it felt like I was grabbing onto a donut and my rear end was dragging on the payment lol

so they DO call it a walkthrough? wow....I wasnt even sure and I started thinking I was trying to do something that wasnt recommended lol that is good to call it a crawl through instead though mine might be a Struggle through lol

whoops an afterthought here I think I will need to move drivers seat way back so I maybe will have a place to start out with my feet.? Iwill figure it out.

I guess I'm still limber enough to have not had too much trouble scrambling from front to back. I guess having the steering wheel tilted all the way up and perhaps partially reclining the driver's seat would help. And the passenger seat upright and all the way forward. Beyond that, perhaps Yoga lessons? I'm not too sure about grab handles, since I find I've been more crawling than 'walking' through the improbably named 'walk-through'. Unless, of course, you're awfully short!

Edited by cheryle

Our 7 yr old grandson does it with ease. I don't even try. Plus my bed section is now permanent as I put in a new full size foam mattress. The space between the seats is occupied by a center console with two way radios and a foam section for the dog, so no where to step. Use the doors, its much easier.