'91 Toyota Warrior with no generator, wires, or gas line to put one in

micfun

I have a 1991 Toyota Warrior. It has a space for a generator, but there is no generator, wires, or gas line to hook up to. It has a coleman 7100 btu air conditioner,

which needs 2800 watts to start and 1500 watts to run. I need advice, how to put a generator in that space, or buy a honda, and put it on the bumper or the roof.

Thank You ..... Micfun

• 4 months later...

With a lot of modication I believe you can install an Onan Microlite 2800 on that space. I am on the progress of putting one in. So far, space has been prepared, gas line is already there so is the power cable from the battery. I just need to done some more wiring, an automatic transfer SW...will keep you posted later

I have a 1991 Toyota Warrior. It has a space for a generator, but there is no generator, wires, or gas line to hook up to. It has a coleman 7100 btu air conditioner,

which needs 2800 watts to start and 1500 watts to run. I need advice, how to put a generator in that space, or buy a honda, and put it on the bumper or the roof.

Thank You ..... Micfun

I think I have the same unit as yours. AC is a 9000 BTU pulls 9amps barely does the job came with a 2.5K Kohler, I think doing the math a honda 2000 would do the job if mine go's out thats what I'm going with just make a slide and putting it in the same compartment & move it out when running. The honda is quiet and will idle down with a light load, the Kohler is loud & runs 3600 no matter what the load is, only use it when we have to.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank You ..... Micfun

I have seen several warriors with onan 2800's installed.

Sounds the camper was originally delivered without the optional generator prep kit.

The bumper think looks crappy, the unit can be stolen, and you have to handle gas cans. .

I once got a quote on $3500 for an onan 2800 installed on a camper without a prep kit..

Thank You ..... Micfun

I am eventually going to hang a Honda EU3000ISA on the back bumper. Why such a big (25.8" x 18.9" x 22.4" 134 lbs) beast you ask. 1- they are super quiet. 2- they are electric start. 3- 20 hours run time on 3.2 gals of gas. 4- 23.3 amps (2800 watts) continuous power. http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/modeldetail.aspx?page=modeldetail&section=P2GG&modelname=EU3000IS&modelid=EU3000ISAN I have found them as low as $1800 new.

EU3000is_100x100.jpg

I think I have the same unit as yours. AC is a 9000 BTU pulls 9amps barely does the job came with a 2.5K Kohler, I think doing the math a honda 2000 would do the job if mine go's out thats what I'm going with just make a slide and putting it in the same compartment & move it out when running. The honda is quiet and will idle down with a light load, the Kohler is loud & runs 3600 no matter what the load is, only use it when we have to.

9 amps is 1080 watts at 120 volts running, startup surge will be higher. Honda 2000 is rated 1600 watts at 13.3 amps continuous but can surge up to 2000 watts 16.7 amps. If you know someone who has one ask them if you could do a test before you plunk down the $$.

• 11 months later...

good idea to check one out first. the place i bought my 2000 from also rented them. they let me plug my mh into it and turn on what i wanted to work. my combo ran it all on econo mode, very quiet. i have a 5200 btu window air conditioner installed and a 1.6 amp ac frig. i have discovered that a 700 watt microwave while watching tv and the frig running makes the charger rev up to handle it. even if you had to rent one for an hour it would be worth it rather than getting something too small.