seeking help with entry step rebuild

85mirage

I dont have steel folding step just sheetmetal entry step.When i removed floor in rv i needed to

remove entry step wood that lined sheetmetal box/step and sheetmetal. The chip board was

rotten. Which now leaves me with a sheetmetal box. It isn't that strong and was

wondering what provides strenth? Are there supports for the sheetmetal box? The

sheetmetal box was screwed to aluminum floor joists.Lining box/step with plywood

doesn't seem like it will provide more support, just distribute weight. Any

photos of anyones entry step? Was thinking of building ply box to fit in sheetmetal box and screw it to aluminum joists. Any ideas? ANy help? I have no fiberglass in entry step

• 2 weeks later...

I dont have steel folding step just sheetmetal entry step.When i removed floor in rv i needed to

remove entry step wood that lined sheetmetal box/step and sheetmetal. The chip board was

sheetmetal box was screwed to aluminum floor joists.Lining box/step with plywood

photos of anyones entry step? Was thinking of building ply box to fit in sheetmetal box and screw it to aluminum joists. Any ideas? ANy help? I have no fiberglass in entry step

Mine was rotted as well. I cut out all the old rotted wood and replaced with new wood that was glued and screwed with gorilla glue, oh, also I applied fiberglass resin to the back of the boards prior to install. Then I fiber glassed the entire step to the sides of the step or the surrounding supporting structures. It works great, I've had heavy friends step down on the area without a budge.

Good Luck

I just rebuilt the step on my Coachman not to long ago. I just removed the entire step assembly, sheet metal and all. Trashed the old wood and rebuilt the entire step out of 1/2" treated plywood. It is stronger than the original step and only took me a few hours from start to finish.

I just rebuilt the step on my Coachman not to long ago. I just removed the entire step assembly, sheet metal and all. Trashed the old wood and rebuilt the entire step out of 1/2" treated plywood. It is stronger than the original step and only took me a few hours from start to finish.

Thanks for reply. couple more ?s Did you reuse sheetmetal? how did you attach plywood to camper? Did you tie ply into bottom of door frame?i currently have large hole where i removed sheetmetal box. I am tired of the large step from ground to floor of rv.

thanks for a step up!