Adding Bike Rack via new Hitch Install.

Hi everyone.

Just bought a 1985 Dolphin with 4 speed manual and pleased as punch. Has 50k miles on the 22 re and planning to keep it for many, many years. Has the 6 lug heavy in the rear.

Thinking about installing a hitch to take a 2" bike rack. The Yakima style rack holds four bicycles with a max total weight of 300 lbs (including the hitch).

Anyone see problems doing this?

Planning to never tow a trailer with it.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

How embarasskin. Not even a 'welcome to Toyland' reply. Guess I better go buy a $100 Toy with 5 lug and post that I'm ready to sink $10k into the restoration. wink.gif

HEY Now... :Poster_oops:

I have a 2 inch hitch on the Sunrader and it works great for bikes. I wouldn't pull anything with it, but it is mounted directly to the frame so I wouldn't be afraid to put a storage rack back there (for light stuff, etc.).

can you put up a picture as i trying to do the same on mine

thanks

Price

How about 3. Top picture you can see that the installer welded in a metal plate inside the L between the frame and the crossmember. The hitch bar bolts through that. Hopefully this gives you a good enough sense of how it was done on my rig. I'm sure they're all a little different.

post-3411-12775177560594_thumb.jpg

post-3411-12775177881504_thumb.jpg

post-3411-12775178113743_thumb.jpg