1992 Dolphin 3.0 automatic 92K miles with engine oil leaking from bottom rear of engine....looks like a rear seal. Also have a steady tap-tap-tap from motor when its running that increases on accerlation. No oil burn and level is okay. Engine seems to run fine other than leak and tapping. I'm not sure who diagnosis/fixes these kind of leaks...would the Toyota dealership be a good start?

I would try to find an independent there are so many Toyota's in general that a lot of places specialize in Toyota's they usually are a good bit cheaper and their work is equal or better then what you might find at a dealer and you can actually talk to the owner.

I would try to find an independent there are so many Toyota's in general that a lot of places specialize in Toyota's they usually are a good bit cheaper and their work is equal or better then what you might find at a dealer and you can actually talk to the owner.

Thanks for the info....I will try that but not sure what kind of repair shop to look for.....or should I just get on the phone and go to work.

I see you're in Las Vegas. Maybe someone will read this and be able to suggest someone local.

I've called around and haven't had any luck other than Findley Toyota in Henderson, NV. Going to see them tomorrow.......I can only imagine what they will charge. I hate when you can't speak to the mechanic but have to go through a middleman, the service writer. I long for the old days.

Here is a couple that do Toyota's Don't know much about them because I live in Maine but maybe you can ask a few questions and see what they say.

1010 N. Stephanie

Henderson, NV 89014

702 456-5549

Mon-Fri 7:30-5:30

open every other Saturday

702-878-7771

2017 S Decatur Blvd Las Vegas, NV 89102

This was just posted elsewhere and might be VERY useful information:-

At Findlay Toyota in Henderson, Nevada (near Las Vegas)

http://www.findlaytoyota.com/ the dealership shop forman who's

name is Vic seems to eagerly seek V6 head gasket warranty work.

If you call him and give him your vehicle ID number he will tell you if

the head gaskets have been done and if your truck qualifies for

warranty replacement. He will also give you a discount on service

work and Toyota parts if you request one.

He's an active member of www.tundrasolutons.com and if you register

on that site you can communicate with Vic via email. Vic has

done hundreds of head gasket jobs and knows how to make them

last and also knows what mistakes can result in a repeat

head gasket failure.

:ThumbUp:

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Here is a couple that do Toyota's Don't know much about them because I live in Maine but maybe you can ask a few questions and see what they say.

1010 N. Stephanie

Henderson, NV 89014

702 456-5549

Mon-Fri 7:30-5:30

open every other Saturday

702-878-7771

2017 S Decatur Blvd Las Vegas, NV 89102

Appreciate your help....I have an appointment with Findley Toyota tomorrow. Was there today and they put some dye in the crankcase so they can put the light on it tomorrow and verify were the leak is originating. The service writer did not seem to think it was the rear seal. There is so much packed into the small area where the engine is that it takes some effort to verify the source of a leak. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

This was just posted elsewhere and might be VERY useful information:-

:ThumbUp:

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Thanks for the inside info....I printed it out and will take it to Findley tomorrow....they put dye in the motor today to locate the leak source tomorrow...I'll let you know what happens. This little motorhome is really a jewel...I hope I can get the problems solved.

Get this....I just came back from Findley Toyota where I dropped the Dolphin off with the oil leak dye disbursed in it. I had printed out the info that Derek up North had posted regarding the head gasket recall. Well, would you believe it....it has never been done on this vehicle. Even the service writer was excited about this job...he had already checked with the computer, service manager, etc., and whomever needs to okay these things, and received the go ahead. To quote him, "this put things in an entirely new perspective", and "these jobs are few and far in between anymore." I guess the problems that originally brought me there will be addressed under the gasket replacement, or at least he led me to believe this. He even said something that made me almost explode with happiness, "I've even seen them replace the entire engine on these recalls when there is some pitting involved." I was even offered a rental car for three days as part of the recall package. I can hardly believe this since initially I usually see the down side of things. Well, now my wife is saying that I need to think more positive and good things will happen. She's probably right, actually she's always right. Anyway, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for excessive pitting...I want to thank everybody who has helped with this and I will keep you posted.

Please give some details. Don't leave us hanging!

By taking the motor apart they found lots of things wrong...leaky water pump, wrong pump bracket, wrong fan and fan clutch, leaky power steering pump, leaky radiator, bad knock sensor, and a few more things. I'm having most of the stuff replaced as the motor is apart and the labor is covered by the head gasket job (other than the radiator). Just didn't think about the repercussions of taking an older motor apart....anyway, its bittersweet in a way. Though its costing me some dough at least I"m having a lot of potential problems taken care of. As far a the oil leak, I'm a little upset because they just started the head gasket job and never determined exactly where the oil was leaking from. The mechanic said no one had mentioned that to him....and it was probably just leaky valve cover gaskets. The tap-tap-tap was not addressed either at this point. Just have to see were I'm at when the job is done. I actually spoke with the mechanic for quite a while and he showed me all the bad parts, pointing out the problems. I'm staying positive.

Sounds about right for a dealer. Hope you really needed the parts the knock sensor is under the manifold really buried right dead in the middle of the engine they probably wanted to replace it just because it's right there when they take it apart. The valves have to be adjusted they are not self adjusting if you have valve noise now is the time to adjust them while the heads are off. If they have to do it later there is a good deal of labor involved just getting to the adjustment shims. I think they dropped the ball not addressing your problems up front before they decided to do the head gaskets.

Sounds about right for a dealer. Hope you really needed the parts the knock sensor is under the manifold really buried right dead in the middle of the engine they probably wanted to replace it just because it's right there when they take it apart. The valves have to be adjusted they are not self adjusting if you have valve noise now is the time to adjust them while the heads are off. If they have to do it later there is a good deal of labor involved just getting to the adjustment shims. I think they dropped the ball not addressing your problems up front before they decided to do the head gaskets.

I'm waiting for their call today. The service writer apologized for "putting the cart before the horse" as he said. I saw all the parts that were to be replaced and they indeed had the problems mentioned. I know they are expensive but I'm hoping for the best. I'll let you know the final result.

Picked up the Dolphin yesterday from the dealer. I was a bit apprehensive as this was costing me quite a bit, but its been one day now and not a trace of oil leaking, and I put about 50 miles on it. I was told that Vic, the gentleman mentioned above from Toyota, took special interest in the project after I sent a couple of e-mails to him and the service manager. He personally (I'm told) adjusted the valves post the head gasket job. No tap-tap-tap sound anymore. At this point I'm quite satisfied. Apparently the oil leak was valve cover gaskets, not the rear seal. Here is how the service order read: repl water pump and t belt, repl drive belts, t-s tat and rad cap, repl spark plugs, cap, rotor, wires, repl knock sensor and knock sensor wire assy, repl pcv hose, repl air tube and silencer boxes on air cleaner assy, repl fan clutch w/bracket assy and fan blade, repl lower shroud and clips, repl fuel pulsation dampener and leaking radiator assy. All this plus the head gasket job. It runs really good and the valvetrain chatter is gone now. I live in the desert here in Las Vegas so any cooling system upgrades are generally a good move. Okay, at this point I'm happy. Time to start enjoying my investment. I do need to start thinking about a muffler. At the dealer I was allowed in the oil change pit (that's were they were checking out the Dolphin) and looking underneath I noticed the muffler has small holes in it. These do make exhaust noise when it is running. I'm hoping I can do this myself. Anyway, thanks everyone for all the good advice.