Starting Old Appliances

I have just bought a '76 Chinook pop-up that has been sitting in a dry climate for at least 10 years. It has a two-way refrigerator and a two-burner stove. Since this rig has been sitting around so long without the appliances being used (and me with very little RV experience), what would be the best approach to finding out if things work? I don't have the rig right now (it's getting a new transmission), but I'm getting excited about figuring things out when I do get ahold of it. I'm not sure if there is any LP in the tank or spiders in the jets. Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Tom

First step fill the tank. The stove should light the ports are too big to be plugged up so light the stove and let it burn for a bit then try to light the fridge it's a pretty small flame so you'll have to look close to see if it's burning.

Ok... but if I end up getting my eyebrows singed off, I'm gonna be pretty mad!

Well I would suggest that you kind of light it like right away! It does take awhile to push all the air out so just have a lighter burning pretty soon after you turn it on.

Ok... but if I end up getting my eyebrows singed off, I'm gonna be pretty mad!

Wear a face shield. it will keep the eyebrows on. For the refer get a small mirror and see if you can look up into the burner chamber. You might have to take off a cover to really see. If you have a water heater the burner assembly is usually easy to remove for inspection.

Rule with the stove is use a lighter wand, have it lit before you turn the knob. Make sure you are turning the right knob.

An RV tech once told me that if you buy a flea color and put a piece near the assemblies when stored it will keep the spiders, wasps etc away. Never tried it myself.

Thanks guys... I'll get a face shield and an oven mitt and a flea collar (but I got a pretty big neck:O) and one of them three foot lighters and then have my wife do the lighting part... laugh.gifdevil.gif