New to this board

I have a 1982 huntsman 18 foot toyota motor home.. with a 4 speed manual and 22r engine.

I also have a 1982 pickup with a 22r and a 5 speed trans..

Do you think it would be worth the trouble to switch the trans. before I sell the pick up?

I have a weber on the motor home and it seems to be a little under geared on the flats and going down hill.

I know I would, given that you already have the 'donor' available. Assuming you're not planning to scrap the '82 pickup, I doubt very much that having a 4 speed will affect the resale value. Of course if you're paying someone else to do the work, that changes the 'tipping point'!

I wish it was as easy to swap a 5-speed into a '92 automatic.

If it's an aluminum case 5 spd. they are fine. If it's an iron case leave it in the old truck.

• 4 weeks later...

beware of dooing this

there are diffarent tranies for 1 tons than normal trucks

but they will interchange

so if you find out diffarent tell me

Ken

I worked at a transmission shop in the 80's and did all of the standard transmissions I don't remember there being any difference between the two maybe there is but the replacement parts were the same perhaps there was a slight difference in the ratios. What I do remember the early aluminum case trans having some 5th gear issues and the iron case being completely useless they would not go 30K before the bearings failed and it was not the bearings but the design Toyota tried a few mods but none were successfully. The 4 speeds would run forever.

That's what you get for putting a Weber on it!

If your 22r is the dual cam chain it should have no problems running at sustained high rpm.

New to this board

I have a 1982 huntsman 18 foot toyota motor home.. with a 4 speed manual and 22r engine.

I also have a 1982 pickup with a 22r and a 5 speed trans..

Do you think it would be worth the trouble to switch the trans. before I sell the pick up?

I have a weber on the motor home and it seems to be a little under geared on the flats and going down hill.

Was there a 1 ton in 82? I had a 1982 3/4 ton.

Don't know Greg they were all Hilux's to me I can barely remember what I had for breakfast! Some where in there they made a Stout that had an 8' bed (maybe it was 7' but bigger then the rest) with a full floating rear and only one tire all of this in the 80's. There were 4spd's, 5 spd iron and 5 spd alu. and automatics.