Gas gauge says empty

ChrisGalipo

Hi! This morning I started my 1989 Odyssey and everything was fine so I took it on the road for a ride. When I got on the Highway, I noticed that my gas gauge wasn't working anymore... it was 15 minutes before.

Can I do something easy about this?? I never had this problem before. Thanks!

Hi! This morning I started my 1989 Odyssey and everything was fine so I took it on the road for a ride. When I got on the Highway, I noticed that my gas gauge wasn't working anymore... it was 15 minutes before.

I have an 88 Odyssey and it doesn't work either. I'll be pulling the tank soon to investigate further. Do you have any electrical schematics on the rig?

I have an 88 Odyssey and it doesn't work either. I'll be pulling the tank soon to investigate further. Do you have any electrical schematics on the rig?

Yeah, the temp guage is OK. I checked the fuses and everything seems fine... damn... another problem.

[/quote

Sorry Chris but that is the joy of owning a 20+ year old ride! If you can get to the tank wiring disconnect the connector and use a test light (key on) to probe the terminals when you find the one that blinks slowly that's the one for the fuel gauge leave the test light hooked up and see if the fuel gauge reads higher if it does the tank sensor is bad. There is a little gadget that controls the voltage to the gauges that's OK because your temp gauge works OK.

hehe you are right about 20+! ;)

I tried what you said, I found the connector, I unhooked it and checked with my test light... unfortunatly, I get no signals on both wires. There is a blue and a white wire there. I followed it and it goes in the cab through a hole. I don't know where it's going then. Wire under the truck looks fine and OK. I'm sure the problem is not the outside wire. Do you know what I can look at after this??

Sorry I can't help you with colors with out sliding under mine. From there you will have to get under the dash and it maybe a lot easier to take the dash out and then probe the back of the gauge. Pretty much the same drill one side will blink the other side should glow dimly and the gauge should hear towards full. I would not give up just on your tank connector make sure you have a good ground to your test light. The tank sensor is the most likely problem but I like to know for sure before I replace any thing parts are just too expensive to just replace until you fix it.

Got a wiring diagram in front of me the tank float wire should be yellow with a red stripe that goes back to the gauge if you ground it or hook a test light to it it should read full.

Remove the wire from the sending switch at the tank and ground it to the chassis. The gauge should read full. If it does the prolbem is in the sending unit. If it doesn't the problem is upstream. Next remove the instrument cluster. One side of the fuel gauge has voltage, one goes to the sending unit for grounding. So ground the sending unit side. It should read full. Make sure the gauge is securely attached to the dash. The nuts can come loose. Check all instruments.If it doesn't read and the voltage is on one side and the ground on the other the gauge itself is bad. Remove it and check solder connections. Heat up the connections as the insulation / varnish in the wire can interfere and cause high resistance.

Magnaflow in Oakland

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah if it reads full you either have a bum connection or a bad tank unit. Hate to say it but it is most likely the tank unit.

If it ends up being a bad sending unit you might look at the link below. They rebuild fuel sending units. I believe most of the Toyota motor home fuel tanks were installed by the RV Converter (Dolphin, Sunrader, etc) and may use a sending unit which would likely be unavailable. I know nothing about this company, just had it saved in my links should I ever need it. There are probably a few others that do this as well.

• 2 weeks later...

If it ends up being a bad sending unit you might look at the link below. They rebuild fuel sending units. I believe most of the Toyota motor home fuel tanks were installed by the RV Converter (Dolphin, Sunrader, etc) and may use a sending unit which would likely be unavailable. I know nothing about this company, just had it saved in my links should I ever need it. There are probably a few others that do this as well.

We checked further and seems like it's a bad sending unit... and the tank is an original Toyota tank so... do you know some place online where I can order a sending unit?

Thanks!

We checked further and seems like it's a bad sending unit... and the tank is an original Toyota tank so... do you know some place online where I can order a sending unit?

Thanks!

With an original Toyota tank I'd suggest www.1sttoyotaparts.com They sell wholesale to everyone. Having your VIN number would be helpful when you call. You might check the chain auto parts stores websites as well. They may have one. I personally prefer new Toyota parts especially on something where you have to drop the tank. You might post the part number, price and where you got it to help others in the future.

Just used the part lookup on 1st Toyota Parts and the sending units run $60-110. There are so many variations you'll definitely need a VIN number to get the right one. Short bed, long bed, with guages, no guages, carburetor, injection and on and on with the choices.