Suspension problem

jocko

I have a '83 Dolphin. Simply put, it rides like a buckboard. Very stiff, you feel every bump in the road. It is very stable cornering, handles very well and the shocks are not springy and appear newish, no leaks. Before i bought this one I drove several that felt like they were going to tip over in corners, not a problem with this one. It has a helper spring in the leaf springs, so my neighbor says. I loaded it up as much as I could thinking, like my pickup maybe fully loaded it would not be so stiff but it had no effect. I do not have problem with it being unlevel. Would those Firestone ride rite air bags make the ride softer? Is there something else someone can suggest?

Check the rubber bushings in the rear springs. Bad ones let the springs and axle bang around a lot.

thanks, as soon as it stops raining I'll go out and check it

I checked them and there does not seem to be any play in them. i am assuming you are talking about where the end of the spring bolts onto the frame. Are there any other ideas from anybody out there. I'm still curious if the air bags will soften the ride?

Jocko

To check the shackle bushings, you have to jack up the RV use jack stands under the frame and let the axle hang Wheels off the ground. The slowly jack up the axle until the springs release the pressure on the bushings. Then look for slack. You might even remove one of the shackle halves to look at the bushing DO NOT remove the bolt all the way, just remove an end plate.

Count your spring leafs most Toys have 6 or so. If your springs have been re arched then extra leafs should have been added that makes the ride stiffer.

You require so much spring pressure to make the RV sit level. It doesn't matter if its all spring or a combo of spring and airbag. At a given spring pressure the airbag is only a little smoother than a leaf spring set.

To check the shackle bushings, you have to jack up the RV use jack stands under the frame and let the axle hang Wheels off the ground. The slowly jack up the axle until the springs release the pressure on the bushings. Then look for slack. You might even remove one of the shackle halves to look at the bushing DO NOT remove the bolt all the way, just remove an end plate.

Count your spring leafs most Toys have 6 or so. If your springs have been re arched then extra leafs should have been added that makes the ride stiffer.

You require so much spring pressure to make the RV sit level. It doesn't matter if its all spring or a combo of spring and airbag. At a given spring pressure the airbag is only a little smoother than a leaf spring set.

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. It looks like I have 7 leaf springs and then 2 short ones on each end. That might be why the ride is so stiff.

I had an accident working under a car once so I don't do that any more but I will try to find a mechanic who will look at those things for me. Thanks again for the info.