"New" 85 Dolphin - have a couple questions...

CurlyH

We just purchased our first Toyota Dolphin and are SO excited to get camping. It's an 85. We were wondering if anyone has installed seatbelts on the bench seat (drivers side over the water tanks) that work with carseats, or if they have any suggestions of how to do so. We were thinking of putting 2 on there so one seat could face forward and one backwards (that way no carseat is sideways). Do you think this is do-able?

Also, I washed my curtains and they were so old they got shredded, so now I need to make some. Anyone have patterns or any suggestions?

We are also missing an inside light cover, any ideas on where to pick one of those up?

Thanks so much! Hope to see some of you on the road soon!!!!!

Hey Curly, your Toy looks like my 84 Dolphin.

I bet that it had the same gold curtains, as well. I guess I won't try washing them. I do plan to replace them this year and redo the interior (I'm no big fan of the original brown plaid "Herculan" material. I will just measure the windows, ect and shop for the material. I think that I may sew on a liner, if they aren't thick enough. I'm not sure if I can use the hangers that are on there, now, or not. I'm looking into alternative methods.

Lot's of people use miniblinds, too. They are noisey at times and I don't think provide as much privacy. Pleated shades are another option. It will be nice to just update the interior a bit IMHO.

As for the interior light cover. These are available @ any RV service or supply store. If you can't find the exact cover, you can replace the unit with one that will fit.

I know nothing about seatbelts, so will leave that to someone more knowledgeable than me.

Happy trails! Tudy

I havn't installed them but i have 2 rear seatbelts one above the hot water heater. They are bolted to aluminum frame that runs the perimeter of coach. Trace seatbelt anchors on floor and you'd have to remove 2 little pieces of floor till you see aluminum and drill hole through aluminum and nut/bolt seatbelt to aluminum. Nut would be placed on bolt from underneath rv. Oh yeah,mine are just lap belts but thats going to have to do for me. I'd hate to see the results of a yoda in a side-on collision. Although thats what the carseats for!

We were wondering if anyone has installed seatbelts on the bench seat (drivers side over the water tanks) that work with carseats, or if they have any suggestions of how to do so. We were thinking of putting 2 on there so one seat could face forward and one backwards (that way no carseat is sideways). Do you think this is do-able?

In demoing my 86 shasta i found that my belts are bolted to aluminum frame. Both are bolted to perimeter aluminum floor joist.One belt is bolted near hot water tank the other centered on rear window . To put them facing you'd need to know where floor joist is. That is if you wanted to bolt to them. Otherwise you could just screw them to floor. I'm happy that the shasta has rear seat belts as the mirage does not. but I'd hate to the results of a either in a side collision

We were wondering if anyone has installed seatbelts on the bench seat (drivers side over the water tanks) that work with carseats, or if they have any suggestions of how to do so. We were thinking of putting 2 on there so one seat could face forward and one backwards (that way no carseat is sideways). Do you think this is do-able?