This is my first post,I have just been lurking and trying to learn by looking at old topics.

For those of you that have changed from dino to synthetic atf,how much of a change in transmission temperature have you achieved?What brand of atf? Where is your sending unit,in the pan or somewhere in the lines.

Probably will not make much difference in the temp but synthetic will withstand higher temperatures. Best place for the temp probe is in the pan. There are several brands of synthetic just get a brand with a name you recognize I would recommend a full flush not just pull the plug and fill it back up.

Probably will not make much difference in the temp but synthetic will withstand higher temperatures. Best place for the temp probe is in the pan. There are several brands of synthetic just get a brand with a name you recognize I would recommend a full flush not just pull the plug and fill it back up.

It has a plastic screen easy to clean parts stores should have a gasket for you. It will hold some where around 9 qts. just dropping the pan will get about 4 qts. How many miles on it?

It has a plastic screen easy to clean parts stores should have a gasket for you. It will hold some where around 9 qts. just dropping the pan will get about 4 qts. How many miles on it?

Thanks again.It has around 20,000 mi.I checked a few websites and found a technique for flushing that requires 2 people,it sounds easy.Iam going to go with a synthetic that is easy to get at the local parts store

(Well known brand) others that I was looking at had to be shipped and would not be easy to get if I had an emeregency.If anyone is interested in the flushing procedure I'll post it.

Yes you can do a flush with two people just don't run it dry and be sure you have the pressure line otherwise you may have fluid coming from where you did not expect it!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks again.It has around 20,000 mi.I checked a few websites and found a technique for flushing that requires 2 people,it sounds easy.Iam going to go with a synthetic that is easy to get at the local parts store

(Well known brand) others that I was looking at had to be shipped and would not be easy to get if I had an emeregency.If anyone is interested in the flushing procedure I'll post it.

Yes, I'm interested in learning how to flush the whole transmission. Please share. Thank you in advance. I'm getting ready to head South next week. The rig goes to the mechanic on Monday for a timing belt replacement before I attempt Mexico Baja. If I only make Arizona it will be worth the trip.

Dave Oglevie

Chelan, WA

Yes, I'm interested in learning how to flush the whole transmission. Please share. Thank you in advance. I'm getting ready to head South next week. The rig goes to the mechanic on Monday for a timing belt replacement before I attempt Mexico Baja. If I only make Arizona it will be worth the trip.

Dave Oglevie

Chelan, WA

You will ned a piece of clear tubing that will fit over the transmission line going to your transmission cooler.( you have two lines connected to the cooler ,one comes from the transmission,the other side comes out of your cooler and goes into your radiator.You want the one coming from the trans.)

First find out how many qts.your transmission holds,and have the right quanity plus one or two extra.you will need two empty clear plastic milk or other jugs with dark lines marking Quart measurements.

Drain the transmission then Remove the transmission pan.Measure the amount of fluid that you drained.Next remove and clean the filter screen.( you can replace it if you desire)Use a lint free cloth or a new paint brush and brake clean to clean the pan and filter ,leave no lint . Use a new gasket.

Replace the filter and pan.DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THE BOLTS as they will shear off. just tighten on a pattern opposite across from the last bolt. tighten each one a little at a time until all are snug.

Add the same amount of new ATF in the transmission fill tube as you removed.Remove the line to your cooler and connect the clear tubing,then place the other end in one of the gallon bottles.Have the caps removed from the new Atf so its ready to pour.Now have a assistant get in and start your vehicle.SET the Emergency brake,Hold their foot on the brake pedal and slowly move the shift selector from park to reverse to neutral to drive to 2nd to 1st,then back up to reverse.MAKE SURE TO WATCH THE JUG ,AND ADD FLUID AS THE OLD FLUID REACHES THE MARKS ON THE JUG.You can shut off the ignition to switch jugs,then resume the process.Allow the transmission to remain in each selection ( R-N-D-2-1 )a few seconds as you flush.You should see the fluid start to change color as you finish.Run about 1 quart additional through to esure its flushed.Reconect the cooler line and check the fluid level.Never Overfill.

If you do not have a transmission cooler this will be the time to install one.Good luck

LW