New in North Carolina

ranger

Hello Everyone,

First of all I would like to say I love this site!!

I recently purchased a 1986 Shasta Toyhome and am still trying to learn the ins and outs. The Shasta contains a 3000 watt coleman generator (with pull start)which has been installed in what appears to be the factory location for a generator but it appears to have been installed by a previous owner not the factory. Just wondering if anyone has ever seen this type installation? It has an electric fuel pump and an electric fan installed as well. I frankly do not understand the wiring and it appears to be non-factory. If anyone can provide me with a proper wiring guide or any other helpfull information in addition to the generator question I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Hello Everyone,

First of all I would like to say I love this site!!

I recently purchased a 1986 Shasta Toyhome and am still trying to learn the ins and outs. The Shasta contains a 3000 watt coleman generator (with pull start)which has been installed in what appears to be the factory location for a generator but it appears to have been installed by a previous owner not the factory. Just wondering if anyone has ever seen this type installation? It has an electric fuel pump and an electric fan installed as well. I frankly do not understand the wiring and it appears to be non-factory. If anyone can provide me with a proper wiring guide or any other helpfull information in addition to the generator question I would appreciate it.

Thanks

That sounds shaky to me I would take it to a local RV dealer and have them check it out. Does the electric pump get fuel from the MH tank? How about the exhaust how did they deal with that? How does the electrical power transfer operate? The units that were designed for use in a MH usually send all the heat and the exhaust out the bottom. Nothing wrong per say with a Coleman generator but an improper install with a generator that was ment to be on the ground could be dangerous.

That sounds shaky to me I would take it to a local RV dealer and have them check it out. Does the electric pump get fuel from the MH tank? How about the exhaust how did they deal with that? How does the electrical power transfer operate? The units that were designed for use in a MH usually send all the heat and the exhaust out the bottom. Nothing wrong per say with a Coleman generator but an improper install with a generator that was ment to be on the ground could be dangerous.

The electric fuel pump does get fuel from the MH tank. The exhaust is made from metal conduit and exists out the rear of the coach but not very professional looking. I do not know how the electric transfer works. There is a swith (on/off light switch type) which is connected to several wire leads and located in the generator compartment. The heat generated during operation is handled by a 16 inch plastic electric fan (such as used on race cars for addtional cooling) which is mounted under the generator at the bottom opening. The fan is connected to a switch which will allow the fan to run in the both directions.

Obviously someone went to great links and expense to install, hook-up, etc. this generator. I have had it running for a few seconds but really have not had time to really check it out. I could use some advice on the electrical wiring issue - what wire/color should go were, etc.

Thanks