The dipstick says dextron II, but I was wondering since that is hard to find and older technology if I could put Dextron III or some other type in it?

I’ll assume you are changing it? I would do a flush and use synthetic it does better with heat. Dextron 3 is fine synthetic is better. How many miles?

I'll assume you are changing it? I would do a flush and use synthetic it does better with heat. Dextron 3 is fine synthetic is better. How many miles?

I have a rear transmission seal leak and am replacing the seal. The fluid is pretty low so i was going to take this time to replace the filter and drain whats left in the tranny fluid. It has 45,000 miles.

Edited by Yobie

I have a rear transmission seal leak and am replacing the seal. The fluid is pretty low so i was going to take this time to replace the filter and drain whats left in the tranny fluid. It has 45,000 miles.

Ok if you are just changing the fluid in the pan then dextron fine (personally I would have it flushed the fluid takes a beating). Be sure to check the bushing in the tail stock if the seal is leaking. If there seems to be a good bit of play it would be a good ideal to replace the bushing to save you some problems down the road.

• 4 weeks later...

Since most like your tranny will take a severe beating everytime it works, I recommend changing the ATF together with the AT filter every couple of years, I use Eneos AT Fluid, and in conjunction with an AT Fluid Cooler, my 87 Dolphin has thus far work like a charm.

Here's the product link to the ATF I use:

http://www.eneos.us/product/6