21' Toyota Dolphin -- 1992 with 70,000 miles

evamitch

We are considering buying a 1992 Toyota Dolphin with 70,000 miles. It has no leaks and is in good condition for an 18 year old rv. However, we are concerned about the mileage on it. We are first time motorhome buyers, though we have pulled a tent camper with our Ford truck. The Dolphin engine is a V6 and the asking priceis $8700. Two questions -- How many miles do these motorhomes usually get before they need major repair? How does the transmission hold up given the weight of the motorhome? And any other advice on reliability would be appreciated. We are having it checked out at an rv repair shop, but we don't think they check the engine. Thanks.

Make sure the head gaskets were replaced by an authorized Toyota dealer - there was a factory campaign to do so. If the head gasket wasn't replaced it needs to be as the original head gaskets were defective. It may still be possible to have Toyota do it for free, if not it's an expensive job. Many of these engines were ruined by leaking head gaskets.

If the timing belt hasn't been replaced recently it's also do for replacement - not as bad a job as the head gasket. It should also have a recent valve adjustment in the service records.

The V6's have a couple of potential issues (head gaskets and valves) but if properly maintained are a solid engine, IMHO. They aren't particularly powerful or efficient however.

Opinions are all over the place on the transmissions. The 2 Toyota motorhomes I have still have their original automatics and they still work perfectly - 85,000 and 95,000 miles on them. I expect how the motorhome has been driven and how well the transmission was maintained will have a-lot to do with how long it lasts. Again, scrutinize those service records! A transmission flush every 30,000 miles or so would indicate a well maintained transmission.

You may want to have it inspected by a Toyota dealer. They can tell you if the head gaskets were done and will probably have opinions on the rest of the driveline. Also good would be to have an experienced Toyota motorhome owner take a look at it if you can find one in your area.

With anything as old as these are it's always a case of YMMV. Even if it is in top shape expect to have to do occasional repairs simply due to the age.

Best of luck!

We are considering buying a 1992 Toyota Dolphin with 70,000 miles. It has no leaks and is in good condition for an 18 year old rv. However, we are concerned about the mileage on it. We are first time motorhome buyers, though we have pulled a tent camper with our Ford truck. The Dolphin engine is a V6 and the asking priceis $8700. Two questions -- How many miles do these motorhomes usually get before they need major repair? How does the transmission hold up given the weight of the motorhome? And any other advice on reliability would be appreciated. We are having it checked out at an rv repair shop, but we don't think they check the engine. Thanks.

I paid 5k for mine that had 23K miles on it earlier this year. Some things to keep in mind when you are looking at it (that I didn't when I bought mine). Does it come with a generator? If not they can be really pricey especially, if you're looking for a built in one. Does it have an awning? Those cost 700 or so and up. Does it have newer tires (note: I didn't say good tires.... New is the key) New tires will run you 650ish and up. Those are just a few things to consider when you're looking for one. I don't think the head gasket issue is much of an issue at all. If it hasn't been done contact Toyota and tell them to do it. It's that simple. As far as miles go, I have seen plant of them for sale with 100K + miles on them. It seem the ones that have more than 120K or so usally have had a new engine, transmission, or something major done to them. Hope this help and good luck in your search for a perfect RV.

Replace timing belt and tension pulleys at around 80000, about $250 for the parts. You can check with toyota using the VIN to see if the head gasket was done by them. The price is about average for that year and mileage. The V6 model has the most power in toyota motorhomes. There are no V8's. Your other choice is the 4 cyl r22 engines. The V6 have locking torque converters in the transmission. When they lock there is no torque converter friction and thus less heat. The 4 cyl's do not have the locking torque converter and have far more problems with overheating transmissions. Anything with a V6 has a 1 ton chassis.