Onan gen function

Huey

Hi folks, I am a newbe here and I have a question relating to the generator on the 91 Dolphin I am picking up in a couple of days. When the gen is started, does it automatically feed the 110 outlets or is there a special switch somewhere to do this?. Mine starts and runs fine but the outlets are dead and upon checking the elect panel, I cannot find and indication of a special switch. Thanks for any info.

Edited by Huey

Depends on how dlx your generator setup is.

The basic ones require you to plug in the 30 amp shore power cord into a generator power outlet box. Its usually some where near the cubby where the shore power cord is keep.

The dlx ones have an auto transfer switch, or you can add one for about $100

• 2 weeks later...

I second the earlier reply. However, just as an FYI, it may "run" great but still have some internal issues and not produce power. Obviously, you first need to make sure it is plugged into the outlet near the generator bay, if that is the setup.

I just rebuilt the carb and replaced all the gaskets on my Kohler genset so that it started and ran great. But, since the brilliant engineers designed a vertical shaft generator behind my rear tires, years of rain have destroyed and corroded the windings. :angry: I took the entire thing out. It may or may not be worth rebuilding... we'll see. I got 0 volts out of one lead and 3.8 out of the other. Not even enough to electricute a wandering rodent taking residence in an RV...

Good luck, and have fun with it! :rolleyes:

Edited by davewbmd