Trip reports

kdl

Has anyone taken the 4 cylinder, dolphin, 1986, up the alcan (alaska highway). What do you think about that idea.

We ,my wife and I, took a trip to Yellowknife, NWY, Canada last summer, 2008, 4 months on the road 8300 miles, no problems at all. Drove 1600 miles on gravel roads, again no problems. I can't immagin you having worse road conditions than we had. We are planning a trip to Home, ak in 2010 summer. We drive a 84 dolphin 4cyl 4 speed, it now has 106,000 miles on it. I would recomend having new to near new tires. Expect to pay 65 to 100 dollars for a oil change. We got 19.4mpg. Darrel

I forgot to mention a couple of things, MAKE SURE that your rig IS mosquito proof. We had two places that they got in and it was miserable. Spray deet around the entrance door it cuts down on the amount of those blood sucking critters entering. Darrel

I forgot to mention a couple of things, MAKE SURE that your rig IS mosquito proof. We had two places that they got in and it was miserable. Spray deet around the entrance door it cuts down on the amount of those blood sucking critters entering. Darrel

thanks for replying, I have taken it around arizona and to san diego, but nowhere else and am a little nervous about the slow uphill grinds.

You don't have to be nervous. Just understand you will be slow up some steep grades.

I own a 1987 4 cyl/auto Sunrader and just returned from a 1 month, 4,000 mile trip from western NY state through St. Louis to Wichita, KS, Oklahoma, into Mississippi, through the Arkansas Ozark Mountains, Tennnesee, Kentucky and West Virginia.

Saw a lot and didn't have any troubles at all.

• 2 weeks later...

You don't have to be nervous. Just understand you will be slow up some steep grades.

I own a 1987 4 cyl/auto Sunrader and just returned from a 1 month, 4,000 mile trip from western NY state through St. Louis to Wichita, KS, Oklahoma, into Mississippi, through the Arkansas Ozark Mountains, Tennnesee, Kentucky and West Virginia.

Saw a lot and didn't have any troubles at all.

As to going up the Alaska highway I went up as far as Whitehorse, Yukon in 1996. Did not have my Toyota Itasca then but a Chev pickup pulling a

23ft trailer. I would not hesitate to take my motorhome up there. The road is all good pavement, only a few really steep climbs and most of the

time you cant see another vehicle in sight so you can really drive your own pace and relax. With our limited fuel capacity I would recommend

stopping and topping off fuel wherever you can and also carring some extra fuel. Was not an issue with me because my truck was dual fuel

propane and gas with a 300 litre propane tank so I was good for over 400 miles on just propane. However my motorhome better be finding

fuel shortly after 200 miles for peace of mind. That is the only issue I would worry about, otherwise a great drive. Suggest return by coming

south at Watson Lake on Cassiar highway and then east to Prince George BC. a very senic drive.

Jim

• 10 months later...

Go for your Alaska trip! Steep hills? Put on a new CD and enjoy it. Your 4-speed is the best. As for the worst roads, in my travels, the Interamericana Highway from Tapachula heading South towards Guatamala City has to be one of the worst. Go slow and wave at the people, but keep your eye out for the "Topes" They are those devilish, concrete barriers that have been installed across the highway to slow down traffic. One mile per hour is the fastest I would drive over these beauties. I estimate that we drove over hundreds in just one hundred miles.

Tom