Structual Failure

who2ted

The bunk on our 91 Dolphin has settled or failed to the point where the drivers door rubs the bunk. The right side has about one inch clearance and seems to be okay. I can see by looking at the trim and the skirt, that it has shifted on the left side.

I placed a jack under the floor, in the corner by the fresh water and gently jacked it up to the point where the door was almost clearing. Now I don't know where or how to fix, shim, or reinforce it to stay up.

Was hoping someone who has tore into that corner, or did a rebuild, could tell me about how it is constructed and a possible fix.

Thanks All

The bunk on our 91 Dolphin has settled or failed to the point where the drivers door rubs the bunk. The right side has about one inch clearance and seems to be okay. I can see by looking at the trim and the skirt, that it has shifted on the left side.

I placed a jack under the floor, in the corner by the fresh water and gently jacked it up to the point where the door was almost clearing. Now I don't know where or how to fix, shim, or reinforce it to stay up.

Was hoping someone who has tore into that corner, or did a rebuild, could tell me about how it is constructed and a possible fix.

Thanks All

If I were to guess, I'd say you have had failure in a metal subframe. You need to discover the break, square it up, and weld in new support. Likely the other side needs doing as well. Look carefully for other weak spots and good luck. The support for the cab over on my '82 Mini Cruiser rusted and collapsed causing both front side windows to break. Was not too hard to fix.-Jeff

If I were to guess, I'd say you have had failure in a metal subframe. You need to discover the break, square it up, and weld in new support. Likely the other side needs doing as well. Look carefully for other weak spots and good luck. The support for the cab over on my '82 Mini Cruiser rusted and collapsed causing both front side windows to break. Was not too hard to fix.-Jeff

Thanks Jeff- What do you call the "metal subframe"? Would that be inside the wall corner, vertical, or under the flooring?

I am not sure the Dolphin has a metal sub-frame. There is a good chance you have and have had a water leak that has rotted the flooring and other components. National is still in business I think. Maybe someone who knows can supply their contact number. A call to them could give you some serious insight on what it will take to fix it.

It is definetly a wood frame that water has damaged. Looks like the plywood floor of the bunk has a few screws and lots of glue.

If anyone has tore into these bunks, I would appreciate some insight into what's under there. Would like to talk to someone before I make more trouble. Thinking about setting a skilsaw shy of the thickness of the plywood and cutting the left side of the flooring out.

Thanks for any help!

Ken