Tachometer Dash replacement and Speedometer turn back

Well I suppose and guess this is an illegal thing to do. And that is turning a speedometer odometer back in miles. My question is how to do it with out being illegal in California. I am considering buying a Tachometer Dash unit from a wrecker and replacing my non tack dash. I have 85,000 miles or so and any tachometer dash I have found has well over 130000 miles. So you can see my concern. Actual miles are documented via the last smog check here in CA as all that info is recorded with the DMV. Assuming it will be legal to reset a used speedo to my present mileage how does one go about doing it? In the past I know that folks would hook up a drill and run it backwards to run the speedo backwards. I will look this up in the CA DMV regulations while I wait for your answers.

I remember taking apart an odometer in my youth. Think it was out of a Celica? It's a little fuzzy, but I seem to remember just taking the gears + pins and whatever else it entailed apart. I'd do it on the kitchen table rather than the garage workbench tho as you wouldn't want to lose any tiny parts. I think this is one of those things you just dig in there and take your time. You could always go the junkyard and practice too! :)

Here is a link to all the DMV stuff for Odometers http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/tocd12c5a10.htm. One section states that if a notice is stuck on the door frame (Repair of Odometer: Required Information ) it is OK but another ( Unlawful to Alter Indicated Mileage) says I can not. Hmmmm huh.gifranting2.gifohmy.gifnuke.gifhelp.gif

(a) Nothing in this article prevents the service, repair, or replacement of an odometer, if the mileage indicated thereon remains the same as before the service, repair, or replacement.

That tells me that if you set your new odometer to the setting of the old one, you are completely in the clear and no note is required.

The key is that the indicated mileage of the vehicle is not being changed.

You'll have to do the following:

Lets say the new one says 136459 and the old one says 85041.

Disengage the main drive gear. This is often accomplished by bending a small tab that holds the gear's axle in place, then removing the gear.

Carefully turn all wheels simultaneously until the odometer reads 025348. If it doesn't click easily, stop. This means the wheels will have to be removed from their shaft and reassembled at the desired indicated mileage.

Turn all wheels simultaneously EXCEPT the hundred thousands wheel until the unit reads 081904.

Turn the thousands, hundreds, tens, and ones (and tenths if it has it) until it reads 084237.

Turn the hundreds, tens, and ones until until you pass from 904 to 015, at which time the geneva gear will rotate the thousands wheel over to read 5, bringing the display to 085015.

Anyway, you get the point. To do it without removing the wheels from their shaft, you have to disengage the drive gear and work it like a Rubik's cube. Just remember to reinstall the drive gear or it will be a dead odometer.

That tells me that if you set your new odometer to the setting of the old one, you are completely in the clear and no note is required.

The key is that the indicated mileage of the vehicle is not being changed.

You'll have to do the following:

Lets say the new one says 136459 and the old one says 85041.

Disengage the main drive gear. This is often accomplished by bending a small tab that holds the gear's axle in place, then removing the gear.

Carefully turn all wheels simultaneously until the odometer reads 025348. If it doesn't click easily, stop. This means the wheels will have to be removed from their shaft and reassembled at the desired indicated mileage.

Turn all wheels simultaneously EXCEPT the hundred thousands wheel until the unit reads 081904.

Turn the thousands, hundreds, tens, and ones (and tenths if it has it) until it reads 084237.

Turn the hundreds, tens, and ones until until you pass from 904 to 015, at which time the geneva gear will rotate the thousands wheel over to read 5, bringing the display to 085015.

Anyway, you get the point. To do it without removing the wheels from their shaft, you have to disengage the drive gear and work it like a Rubik's cube. Just remember to reinstall the drive gear or it will be a dead odometer.

Is it possible to swap the two odometers?

If you've got it out to roll the wheels, stick the other odometer in. No mileage to change.

T.A.J.