Fuel System Hesitation in 1979 Sunrader

yoyoman

Hi - thanks for the help on this forum. It certainly saves everyone time and money. Thats greatly appreciated.

My 79 Sunrader only has 16,000 miles on it and it was sitting for a while and has some rust underneath. It has real hesitation issues when I drive down the road, but when I floor it, they usually go away. Even if I am going 50-55 on the highway, it still feels like there is an issue with getting enough gas into the engine.

How do I diagnose this? I am guessing it is either a faulty fuel pump, corroded fuel lines, clogged/corroded carbeurator parts, but not the fuel filter, cause I have replaced that once already with no improvement.

Thanks very much! It has the 20-R engine and I think the truck is actually a 1978. :)

My Sunrader (22R engine) did that a few weeks ago, hesitate as I drove along. My problem turned out to be a pinhole in the rubber fuel line near the filter. I never smelled raw gas, I assumed it was ready for a tune-up. However, the next morning I had a small puddle of gas under the vehicle. I replaced all of the rubber fuel lines for the Sunrader since it was probably as old as the motorhome. My problem went away, runs smooth now.

Allen

My Sunrader (22R engine) did that a few weeks ago, hesitate as I drove along. My problem turned out to be a pinhole in the rubber fuel line near the filter. I never smelled raw gas, I assumed it was ready for a tune-up. However, the next morning I had a small puddle of gas under the vehicle. I replaced all of the rubber fuel lines for the Sunrader since it was probably as old as the motorhome. My problem went away, runs smooth now.

Allen

Thanks for the tip Allen! Did you get these fuel lines at a general auto parts store by asking them by make and model or did you have to measure? I am guessing there is one line that comes from the tank to the fuel filter and one from the filter to the carb? thanks again! :D

Edited by yoyoman

Thanks for the tip Allen! Did you get these fuel lines at a general auto parts store by asking them by make and model or did you have to measure? I am guessing there is one line that comes from the tank to the fuel filter and one from the filter to the carb? thanks again! :D

I bought the fuel line (non-fuel injection) at a NAPA store (about $.80 a foot), I think it was 1/4 inch ID. I replaced the section that runs from the tank to the filter, from the filter to the metal fuel line and from the metal fuel line to the carb. I also replaced the line that carries vapors from the tank to the charcoal filter and carb. It takes about 5 feet total for the fuel delivery line, and about 7 feet for the vapor line.

This fixed my hesitation problem and cured a potential safety problem at the same time, but it might not cure your problem. Hesitation depends upon many things, from water in the fuel to incorrect valve settings among many...good luck.

Allen