Roof rack and ladder

DocJones

I have a 91 Winny. First is the ladder. There aren't enough spots to mount to the steel cage and clear the lights. Here's what I did. You need to buy the universal ladder type that has a pivot in it and the bottom support bracket swivels. I marked off where I wanted it mounted. You'll have to cut it shorter. I drilled through to the inside which is where the closet is. I used thick aircraft washers on the inside. Those are the ones that are very wide. It distributes the weight so that it doesn't rip through the wall and fiber glass. I attached the bottom swivel to the box bumper. Be careful of the rounded fiber glass on the rear. It can split if you step on it. I hope you don't weigh too much, no offense meant.

I attached a picture of mine.

One thing to avoid on a roof rack is one that has an open protruding bar in front. It can catch tree branches and rip the roof apart. Get one where the bar in front bends down to and attaches to the roof.

post-332-12527304616741_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Thank you. I have a 91 Winny and I want to install a ladder . Your photo and description is valuable to me. And it is nice to meet you.

• 2 months later...

Here is another one/ This one has bolts protruding into the shower.

Are you familiar with butyl seals? And C-10 lap sealant (for horizontal surfaces)?

I have a 91 Winny. First is the ladder. There aren't enough spots to mount to the steel cage and clear the lights. Here's what I did. You need to buy the universal ladder type that has a pivot in it and the bottom support bracket swivels. I marked off where I wanted it mounted. You'll have to cut it shorter. I drilled through to the inside which is where the closet is. I used thick aircraft washers on the inside. Those are the ones that are very wide. It distributes the weight so that it doesn't rip through the wall and fiber glass. I attached the bottom swivel to the box bumper. Be careful of the rounded fiber glass on the rear. It can split if you step on it. I hope you don't weigh too much, no offense meant.

I attached a picture of mine.

One thing to avoid on a roof rack is one that has an open protruding bar in front. It can catch tree branches and rip the roof apart. Get one where the bar in front bends down to and attaches to the roof.

post-1354-0-31926300-1318889286_thumb.jp