odometer

sparky60

Hi all, been using my '83 Dolphin a bit recently after fixing it up . Runs great, although the odometer just quit on me. It's now at 56,999 and now just cycles thru the 10ths of a mile. I'm sure one of the little gogs is hung up. Banged on it a bit but no luck. Has any one had this happen to them ? Do I have to remove the whole dashboard to get at the little sucker? The speedometer works fine. Also there a small twisted 2 wire sensor that runs down from the engine to the drive shaft. It dosen't touch the drive shaft but is positioned about an inch away from it. I'm just courious as to what this puppy is for? Would this have anything to do with my odometer? Any one know ?........Thanks.....

The odometer is mechanical so if it stops working it is a gear issue.

Sounds like you are a candidate for a SR5 gage cluster thumbup.gif

The SR5 dash cluster has a a nice gage set in it and it is a direct plug in with the original "truck" gage set.

The 2nd series truck deluxe clusters do no pop up on eBay as frequent as the 3rd and 4th series do but I have seen a fair number of them over the years.

You can always get your odometer repaired if you want to keep the original.

Here is a thread on Yotatech where someone with a 3rd series replaced their cluster with an SR5 cluster. Removal should be similar for you

http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=51800

The geneva drive between the tenths and ones is not turning due to a worn tooth on the left side of the tenths wheel. Makes sense that this one would wear out first because it gets 10 times more use than the tooth on the ones wheel. When the day came that it had to turn 5 digits at once, they were just too stiff to turn and the worn tooth grinds over the geneva (and grinds over it once every mile).

Getting it out is the hard part. The wheel can have the tooth built back up with a hot jewler's screwdriver... you don't even need a new wheel.

And if you're really ambitious, you can make it a low mileage rig while the odo is out.

Well...I removed the gauge cluster today. Bit of a hassle but not impossible. Removed the odometer and put a small square drive in my drill and spun the speedometer while exerting a bit of pressure to the other wheels on the odometer and Voila ! it now works ...at least untill it gets to the next 1000 mile point ..we'll see then. Now I just have 2 figure what that 2 wire senor thingy is for? Thanks again.........

Hi all, been using my '83 Dolphin a bit recently after fixing it up . Runs great, although the odometer just quit on me. It's now at 56,999 and now just cycles thru the 10ths of a mile. I'm sure one of the little gogs is hung up. Banged on it a bit but no luck. Has any one had this happen to them ? Do I have to remove the whole dashboard to get at the little sucker? The speedometer works fine. Also there a small twisted 2 wire sensor that runs down from the engine to the drive shaft. It dosen't touch the drive shaft but is positioned about an inch away from it. I'm just courious as to what this puppy is for? Would this have anything to do with my odometer? Any one know ?........Thanks.....

My guess the little sensor was an after market cruse control and it probably had a magnet on the drive shaft once upon a time. Wonder if there is still such a thing as a speedometer shop any more now that they have become so complex and digital?

My guess the little sensor was an after market cruse control and it probably had a magnet on the drive shaft once upon a time. Wonder if there is still such a thing as a speedometer shop any more now that they have become so complex and digital? Yep...it did have an aftermarket cruise control..bet ur right Maineh, must be the sensor for that...thanks