dometic

helloo

Depending on the age and condition of the unit it might be more economically viable to replace it with a new fridge rather than just replace the burner and coils.

There are a couple people who rebuild RV fridges using new parts (they replace the entire cooling unit, coils, burner, etc). It will be expensive to have the old one removed, packed, shipped, refurbished, reshipped, and reinstalled.

The cost of a completely new fridge is very close to having your old one rebuilt. If your old unit is showing its age (cracked or worn seals, rusty shelves, funky outside, exterior rust, etc) get a new one. There are "surplus" places that have over run new units for less than retail and with today's economy as it is many large RV locations will discount a big purchase item like this.

So the question is..... what model is yours and how old is it?

its a 1984 sunrader dometic rm461 I believe the exact repalcement is the rm2410 model. it only had 21,000 miles on the vehicle hardly any use. I was new to these frigs and i had it running for an hour with the bubble off. that is why it blew. so only coil damage everthing else pristene

I was faced with the same issue in my 89 Dolphin... $800 for a new cooling unit or $880 for a new fridge (Dometic 2410)...

Instead I bought a Kenmore Elite dorm fridge off Craigslist for $25... slipped it in the hole and trimmed her out such that she looks better than OEM...

We rarely used the propane (other than at tailgate parties) but the dorm fridge will stay super cold for 6+hr trips w/o power... providing you have her chilled down for a day or two prior and place some strategic icepacks in there....

best money i never spent!

my dometic died on me. ammonia spewwed. was wondering anyone in the east bay area, ca would know a place that would recondtion the pipes and refill the ammonia. tahnk you in advance

Contact the people at rvfridge.com. They have replacement cooling units for most refrigerators. I think a replacement unit for your fridge would run about $400.00 plus $60.00 shipping, but contact them for the actual price. They have a great website and offer detailed instructions so that you can do the work yourself in an afternoon. Looks like they make a good product, too.

John