toilet and water tank problems

dogre

We have a 1991 Toyota/Itasca Spirit MH. We just finished a 4500 trip and all went well until we connected city water to the MH (with no pressure reducer - oops!) and sprang a leak at the connection to the toilet. I can see the problem but cannot figure out how to get a wrench on the connector to remove it and repair/replace it. Does anyone know how to do this without having to remove the toilet?

We also discovered the water tank leaked to the interior of the MH when it was more than half full. Made for some very soggy carpeting. How does one track down the leak? Do we have to attempt to remove the tank? Do you have to remove the couch to get to this? As you can tell we are at a loss as to how to continue. Both of us are pretty handy but need some guidence.

Thanks

No idea on the toilet.

The water tank though, watch it as someone fills it and look for the leak. Could just be the filler hose as they often leak right at the tank, especially the corrugated rib type. If it is leaking, a tightening of the hose clamp might fix it. The other areas to look for is the level sensors if yours uses the small bolt type sensors. Mine was leaking at the filler connector at the tank. I could not get it tight enough to stop leaking. Bought some solid clear tubing from Home Depot and that worked perfectly. My tank though is in the bottom of the closet in the bath. I opted to pull the tank out and redo the sensor stuff as they were a bit rusty where the wires connected. I also put in all new hoses that ran to the tank and flushed the tank while it was out. I was also able to fill it full and basically bench test it for any small pinhole leaks and the sensor seals. It might not be as hard as it looks to pull it if its under the seat. A hint though, cut the sensor wires and put them back together after re-install. Chances are they will not remove easily from the tank and you could damage the sensor seal trying to loosen the nuts.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your tips. I found that the cheap plastic filling hose (the white corrigated one) was brittle and had developed holes and splits. I replaced it with a 9" long 1 1/4" radiator hose. I doubt this will leak for at least a couple of decades. My wife finally tracked down the leak in the toilet and thinks she has it fixed. The waterhose inlet to the top rear of the toilet had come loose and after lots of sweating and swearing Kate was able to get it properly reseated.

You need what's called a basin wrench. They're cheap at Wallyworld or Harbor Freight.

http://theheadlemur.typepad.com/remodeling_for_geeks/2006/10/orphan_tools_ba.html

When I had to repair a toilet on one of my motorhomes, I installed a shut off valve closer to the floor so I could isolate the toilet.

Another option is a union fitting http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/248553024/plastic_union_union_ppr_plastic_union.html

I swear some of the MH manufacturers built the MHs around the commode so that you have to discard the MH when the toilet fails.

• 5 months later...

We just did the same thing to our 86 Dolphin - what a mess! We blew the old pump seals, the kitchen faucet and our toilet leaks around the rim now...gads! I guess we were lucky - but we were quite soggy too!

We have a 1991 Toyota/Itasca Spirit MH. We just finished a 4500 trip and all went well until we connected city water to the MH (with no pressure reducer - oops!) and sprang a leak at the connection to the toilet. I can see the problem but cannot figure out how to get a wrench on the connector to remove it and repair/replace it. Does anyone know how to do this without having to remove the toilet?

We also discovered the water tank leaked to the interior of the MH when it was more than half full. Made for some very soggy carpeting. How does one track down the leak? Do we have to attempt to remove the tank? Do you have to remove the couch to get to this? As you can tell we are at a loss as to how to continue. Both of us are pretty handy but need some guidence.

Thanks

• 3 months later...

thanks for the insight. Took our Toy out for the first time this year 2 weeks ago. The coach carpet got soaked from what I think is a leak in the water tank. It drained half way down then stopped. My problem is that my tank is mounted underneath the stove. Not sure how to get it out.

Another issue I have is with the toilet. When hooked up to city water, the black water tank fills up to the point that I have to empty it daily. Guess I need to hook it up and do some serious troubleshooting at the toilet water connection and see if it is leaking into the toilet constantly.

Thanks for your tips. I found that the cheap plastic filling hose (the white corrigated one) was brittle and had developed holes and splits. I replaced it with a 9" long 1 1/4" radiator hose. I doubt this will leak for at least a couple of decades. My wife finally tracked down the leak in the toilet and thinks she has it fixed. The waterhose inlet to the top rear of the toilet had come loose and after lots of sweating and swearing Kate was able to get it properly reseated.

Radiator hose rubber is really not drinking water safe. It needs to be replaced with the correct (drinking water safe) type of hose - my personal opinion. You can get the safe hose (tubing) at Home Depot or Lowes. I had to use the clear smooth as the corrugated stuff would not seal on mine ether.

thanks for the insight. Took our Toy out for the first time this year 2 weeks ago. The coach carpet got soaked from what I think is a leak in the water tank. It drained half way down then stopped. My problem is that my tank is mounted underneath the stove. Not sure how to get it out.

Another issue I have is with the toilet. When hooked up to city water, the black water tank fills up to the point that I have to empty it daily. Guess I need to hook it up and do some serious troubleshooting at the toilet water connection and see if it is leaking into the toilet constantly.

You probably do have to remove the stove to get it out. The toilet valve can't hold back the city water is my guess like your guess. Are you attaching a pressure regulator to the city supply at the faucet? They can be had at Walmart fairly cheap and help prevent water leaks.

You probably do have to remove the stove to get it out. The toilet valve can't hold back the city water is my guess like your guess. Are you attaching a pressure regulator to the city supply at the faucet? They can be had at Walmart fairly cheap and help prevent water leaks.

I've got a pressure regulator. It came with the RV, I assume it works, but will replace it this year just to be sure.

Re the toilet valve, would I need to replace the entire toilet or can I just replace the valve? I'm all for whatever is easiest and quickest.

I've got a pressure regulator. It came with the RV, I assume it works, but will replace it this year just to be sure.

Re the toilet valve, would I need to replace the entire toilet or can I just replace the valve? I'm all for whatever is easiest and quickest.

As for replacing the valve, I have no idea how hard or easy it is as I have never had one apart. You might need to find a knowledgeable RV parts dealer who could figure out exactly what you need. Here is a link that might help find the part, they have a lot of valves under toilets. http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/chooseState

That's good news! Don't do what I did once with the pressure regulator. I put mine on the coach after the hose and the hose blew up like a balloon. Lesson learned put it at the faucet. I also now carry a pressure gauge and test before hooking up. One place was at 125 lbs. I really don't trust the regulator enough so I opted not to connect that time.

• 1 month later...
Guest toydolphin

No idea on the toilet.

The water tank though, watch it as someone fills it and look for the leak. Could just be the filler hose as they often leak right at the tank, especially the corrugated rib type. If it is leaking, a tightening of the hose clamp might fix it. The other areas to look for is the level sensors if yours uses the small bolt type sensors. Mine was leaking at the filler connector at the tank. I could not get it tight enough to stop leaking. Bought some solid clear tubing from Home Depot and that worked perfectly. My tank though is in the bottom of the closet in the bath. I opted to pull the tank out and redo the sensor stuff as they were a bit rusty where the wires connected. I also put in all new hoses that ran to the tank and flushed the tank while it was out. I was also able to fill it full and basically bench test it for any small pinhole leaks and the sensor seals. It might not be as hard as it looks to pull it if its under the seat. A hint though, cut the sensor wires and put them back together after re-install. Chances are they will not remove easily from the tank and you could damage the sensor seal trying to loosen the nuts.

Guest toydolphin

No idea on the toilet.

Guest toydolphin

Hi Greg,

I just purchased a 1986 Toyota Dolphin with 58K. I hooked up the city water line and have water in the motorhome but also have water dripping somewhere around the propane tank about the rear wheels on the drivers side. I could not see the leak, any ideas, also where is the hot water heater on this model?

Thanks for your help,

Phil