1990 Dolphin needs an awning!

Dolphinlover

I am a newbie as I have only been an RV owner for two months -so bear with me. I am wondering how I go about measuring my 1990 Toyota Dolphin for an awning? There is a track up there, but I am not sure if it went to a past awning or if I can use it for a new one? What are the dangers in buying a used awning like off of Craigslist or similiar sites? I dont even know where to start but I did look at a couple companys websites and the ones I looked at were VERY pricey, so if I paid that much I would want to be sure that I got a perfect measurement, a great warranty, etc. Any feedback would be appreciated, even if it is from others in the same predicament :wacko:

I bought a rope and pole awning and I am pleased with it. It would most likely fit the track you already have. These are not fancy but the price is right. Just search rope and pole awning on the internet. There was one company that made them and a bunch that sold them. The company that makes them sells them and they were helpfull to me when I bought mine. I will put a picture of mine. It is 8 feet.

O172457.jpg Was all prepared to shell out $850 for a new cartridge-type awning for my '89 Dolphin until I found an 11' A&E 9000 Elite on Craigslist last winter for $300 in mint condition... paid a guy to install it... works flawlessly...

Also considered bag-type awnings typically found on pop-ups.... much cheaper but did not care for the look of a dirty white vinyl zippered bag sagging off my coach like a roll of Carnie Wilson stomach fat...

If you get a common torsioned roll-type awning, do yourself a favor and have it installed by an experienced RV tech.... my research showed that one mistake during the spring-torsioning process can have a spinning wrench severing a finger or hand....

Edited by pennstater

I have 2 carefree colorado box awnings. They are the bomb. Fully self contained inside an aluminum box. Imposable for them to get away when you don't want them to.

post-794-1249527851_thumb.jpg

post-794-1249527994_thumb.jpg

I have 2 carefree colorado box awnings.

Hello Turtle: Both your ToyHomes are very clean. Both appear to be nice units. Is this the transition in your avatar to displaying your 1991 Sunrader? Good luck with both!

post-2937-1249530158_thumb.jpg

post-2937-1249530570_thumb.jpg

post-2937-1249530599_thumb.jpg

I found an old but little used 10' AE box awning in a wrecking yard for $200, took about 3 hrs to install. With the Sunrader I used self tapping screws to hold it in place, then put 3 3/8 cariage bolts through from the inside in the upper lockers.

Hello Turtle: Both your ToyHomes are very clean. Both appear to be nice units. Is this the transition in your avatar to displaying your 1991 Sunrader? Good luck with both!

Here are both of them

med_gallery_794_143_127302.jpg

I sold the diesel on Tuesday so I am down to just the 91 Sunrader shorty.