Hello,

I have an 85 Sunrader with a 22RE auto. It now has 50 K miles on it. It has always had this sort of squeaky tapping noise when cold. I acturally thought it might be the fan belt as it was slightly glazed, but that made no difference. It has always done this noise a bit but it seems to have become slightly worse. On a recent 2600 mile trip it was always there when cold, and the thermostat seems to have stuck open, so it took a while to warm it up. I tried to keep the revs down until it got a little bit warm. The bolts on the thermostat housing are frozen so I stuck some cardboard in the rad. to get it into the normal operating temp. range until I could get it home to my mechanic. The question is: should I get him to adjust the valves when he is working on this? Could the noise have anything to do with the timing chain or its tensioner? Perhaps this is a typical noise from this engine, and with a new thermostat on it it will be at operating temp so quickly It won't be an issue. Otherwise the engine runs great. Drove it up some nasty hills and into some nasty sea driven winds and still averaged about 14-15 MPG. Any advice re. this noise, possible sources and courses of action would be greatly appreciated.

James

The answer to all your question is YES, adjust the valves and check the timing chain.