Where do you guys take your Toy with generators for generator service. I have an 87 sunrader with a Kohler 2500 generator that is original to the camper . It runs ok but I am planning a long trip and would like it tuned up and a new muffler and exaust pipe put on. I am sure it has not been tuned in years. I dont know where to take this as I think parts could be an issue. Do they take it out of the camper to work on it.

mm

I have the same unit theirs not much to tune up spark plug oil change if its running alright correct voltage & hertz and will carry the load, I did have mine out drops out the bottom the way mine was mounted needed reinforcing was cracking the metal.

Mine's a Kohler with a Tecumseh eng Tecumseh I believe went out of business. remember Ac and microwave shouldn't be run at the same time

Mine has the tecumsh engine also. No points or anything else to change in that? If its just a plug I can do that. It runs and powers everything when I got it it would not run I found a new carb for it and put it on and it runs good but you have to fiddle with the choke and get it just right and it can be a little hard to start so I was thinking a good tune up. Once it gets going it runs ok. It needs a muffler and tail pipe also any idea where to get that. I got the carb of e bay.

mm

No points on mine (electronic' When I choke mine cold pull it all the way out then push it in right as it starts, good luck on the parts might be easer to repair what you have. When I first got mine had two problems the AC was cycling to quick wouldn't allow the hd pressure to drop would bog the gen when I fixed that then I put more hrs on it trying to get it to smooth out on a light load finally using it on a hot day when the ac wouldn't cycle a real hard run, seemed to help it and it didn't have carbon build up had the HD off to check it.

Mine had not been run for a while when I got it and the carb was shot. I went through rebuild kits but then I found a new one on e bay so I bought it right away and put it on. I pull the choke out all the way and she starts up but as you push in in if you push it in to far it will stall. I think its running to rich now and I was hoping a tune up could fix it up. The muffler and tailpipe off it are in bad shape I have to see if I can replace that. I have a two week trip planned in sept and I will need it every day. I am going to put a plug in it this week and change the oil and see if I can get it to run better. I always hate to take this stuff in to shops, chances are they have never seen one and you get ripped off.

mm

mmtoy1

I have the same generator and my old muffler had rusted through and needed replacement. I found one on line through Jack's Small Engines for the Tecomseh TVM engine. It is quite a bit smaller than the original but the manifold size is the same. I had to use a section of the original minifold to extend it down to where my old muffler was mounted but it was an easy fit. Its still not very quiet but those old models were always noisy. I had the carb rebuilt because the old gas had varnished the insides, it runs but bogs down when I try to use the ac. Can't find anyone in the Phoenix area to work on it unless I take it out of the motorhome and I see that Tom W dropped his without too much trouble so that's my weekend project although I think I looked at doing this before and the mount looked like it was welded in place. With temps this week well above 100 I need the gen working to use the roof ac while driving.

Seamus McShank

Mine's a 92 winnie the gen would drop out underneath small floor jack and a block do some measuring so there's enough room to pull it out its not that heavy, MH will have to be on a ramp, the reason I took it out was to get it to run right on a bench and check valve clearance opened the clearance some, I had the idea they were getting tight when hot. The hertz will have to be set a little higher no load on a gen 62-63 hertz and the voltage will be on the high side close to 130 volts both will be lower under load, if thier low it will bog it down starting a load, also a hard start capacitor can be added to the AC I didn't have to do that Mines only a 9000btu unit. Also there's a screw under the carb bowl that can be adjusted needs to be tweeked under different loads

Tom W

Thanks for your reply. I have found a small engine repair place that will get this gen running right but they want me to bring it to them. I did put in a hard-start capacitor in my 11,000 BTU ac and it runs great on shore power but not the gen yet. I tracked down a manual for this Kohler 2.5 based on the info plate that has the serial and model #s. They wanted the "spec" # (117101) so if anyone has the same and needs info I can email the necessary pages. I'll be crawling under my Sunrader to drop this gen early Saturday before it gets too hot to breathe.

Seamus McShank

• 7 months later...

Tom W

Thanks for your reply. I have found a small engine repair place that will get this gen running right but they want me to bring it to them. I did put in a hard-start capacitor in my 11,000 BTU ac and it runs great on shore power but not the gen yet. I tracked down a manual for this Kohler 2.5 based on the info plate that has the serial and model #s. They wanted the "spec" # (117101) so if anyone has the same and needs info I can email the necessary pages. I'll be crawling under my Sunrader to drop this gen early Saturday before it gets too hot to breathe.

Seamus McShank

• 5 months later...
Guest toydolphin

Tom W

Seamus McShank

Hi Seamus,

Have the same generator with some missing parts. Would love to get a copy of the manual. Could you email me the pages out of your manual.

Thanks,

Phil & Carolyn

pheckerson@hotmail.com

• 1 month later...

Where do you guys take your Toy with generators for generator service. I have an 87 sunrader with a Kohler 2500 generator that is original to the camper . It runs ok but I am planning a long trip and would like it tuned up and a new muffler and exaust pipe put on. I am sure it has not been tuned in years. I dont know where to take this as I think parts could be an issue. Do they take it out of the camper to work on it.

mm

change the oil about every 25 miles, change the spark plug about 100 hours.

the muffler is no longer available from kohler (they want >1,000$ to build you one - as of last year). Will have to custom build. Note that is you take off the exhaust pipe you will find 3/4" pipe threads -- mufflers are available (lawnmower style) but you have to open your compartment to run. One may be able to route it down and out with threaded pipe.

if you do not have a CO detector I would highly advise you get one. That exhaust can kill.