New Member with Old 87 Gulfstream Conquest saying Hello

Hello Fellow ToyHome Owners: I recently purchased my first ToyHome it is a 21' Rear Bath 1987 Gulfstream "Conquest" Series M-211RB-Micro, mounted on a 1986 Toyota Chassis powered by a 4 cyl. 22RE EFI engine, Auto Trans. w/OD, with 6 lug dually setup. Only 36,400 mile on odometer when I purchased July 4th, 2009. Empty curb weight is around 5500#"s. I am totally surprised how well this MH handles. This is the fourth Toyota truck chassis which I have owned over the years, I currently have a 1988 Toyota V6, 4X4, manual 5 spd. Pickup with camper cap showing nearly 176,000 miles and running great. But, this is my first motor home, so I have a lot to learn about ToyHomes from your personal experiences and by reading your informative past discussions / topics / posts about these fine machines.

I have recently retired and plan on doing some traveling after doing some maintenance and repairs. My immediate part requirement is a replacement set of exterior door mirror brackets. The existing brackets are a tripod arrangement with all contact points mounted onto the lower part of the door below the glass line. This arrangement has loosened over time and has chipped the paint causing rust at the attachment points. So I need replacement mirror brackets to mount at different positions, such as the front leading edge of the door above my eye level as seated, with the lower end of this U Shape bracket attaching just below the side glass. With a support bracket coming back at a 45 degree angle from the front edge of the door back to near the top of the mirror head. Ideally a second support bracket mounted to the bracket near the upper mounting position coming down again on a 45 degree angle and firmly attached to the lower bracket midway between the cab and mirror head would be a definite bonus.

I have seen many photos of the three point mirror brackets holding two mirror heads on Odessy and Sunrader MH's. These Toyota doors slam shut with a vengeance, which cause the existing lower door tripod arrangement to loosen being attached only to one ply of sheet metal. Could someone recommend a source of sturdy mirror brackets for my project. Possibly you may have an extra set to sell. Has anyone installed the "Big Rig West Coast Mirrors" on these mini pickup cabs?

I will post some photos after completion of some of the required projects on this MH. This MH purchased new in 1987 by a widower gentleman who recently passed away suddenly at 72 Y/O, I now have a great chassis to work with which may get me into my 70's. I welcome all contacts and comments from this fine group of individuals. Hope that we can get to know one another better over the years.

Thanks for reading my introduction, Michael Z.

Michael

Welcome to the family!!!!! Someone will be along soon to help you with your mirror question, but I wanted to say "hi". You're also welcome to post questions of any type in the "General Discussion" topic. (Most of our members really hit that topic the most.)

Congratulations on your new toy motorhome purchase. Sounds like you found a real gem!!!!!! Make sure to post pictures of your toy, and where you take it, and what updates you make to it.

Glad you're here.

wishing you a wonderful summer,

shanda

Michael

Welcome to the family!!!!! Someone will be along soon to help you with your mirror question, but I wanted to say "hi". You're also welcome to post questions of any type in the "General Discussion" topic. (Most of our members really hit that topic the most.)

Congratulations on your new toy motorhome purchase. Sounds like you found a real gem!!!!!! Make sure to post pictures of your toy, and where you take it, and what updates you make to it.

Glad you're here.

wishing you a wonderful summer,

shanda

Thank you Shanda for your warm welcome. Your MH displays a pleasing and quite a unique graphics package. I have read some of your forum explaining your inspiration to use this design on you Toy MH. I hope that someday I actually get to see her "Sadie" in person while I listen to you playing your music. Thanks for the advise and especially your welcome. Michael

There's a couple of other options for the mirrors. One of my Toyhomes had flat metal stock attached to the camper overhead. The mirrors hung down from these.

On my first Toyhome, I had a very narrow driveway and the tripod mounted mirrors had nearly torn the door panels out. I bought old swing away Ford style truck mirrors.

I drilled the side and reattached the mirror. I used an extension nut to secure it. This gave me swing away mirrors.

There are also small versions of the west coast style truck mirrors which also swing away.

post-332-1247336407_thumb.jpg

post-332-1247336887_thumb.jpg

Thank you futar for your reply as well as your 3 attachments. I say three because on the photo of your motorhome is the exact style of mirror bracket I am looking for. I can always add the extra support arm. The other styles pictured are indeed very nice alternatives. You mentioned a MH of yours had flat metal stock for mirror brackets which were attached to the overhead. This surely seems to be a solution, but I am 6' tall and I envision myself getting caught up in this arrangement on a moonless night. Or were they mounted all the way forward on the overhang? Since your MH has the style of mirror brackets I "think" I desire, you are knowledgeable about their strengths and weaknesses. If you were to purchase another MH which was not supplied with suitable mirror brackets which style would you personally select to install? Thanks, Michael

Edited by gmichaelz

Your MH displays a pleasing and quite a unique graphics package.

We thank you kindly, Michael.

Shanda :) and Sadie :)

Shanda, I'm sure you put in a significant amount of thought not to mention the untold amount of time spent hand painting "Sadie" to make her yours / or vise versa. Lets just say, if I were attending a rally of Toyota Motorhomes I would have to give you my GPS coordinates for you to find me. However, I could just ask at the gate for "Sadie's" whereabouts and the attendant would be able to guide and direct me to her. Enjoy her individuality, Michael

Update: My first choice of door mirror brackets would be similar to those which I saw in a file photo for "johnnyonthespot" galley when he rebuilt / remodeled his interior. I have sent him an E-mail but it appears as though there has been no activity with that member since early April 2009. I hope all is well with "johnnyonthespot" and he is out in the wilderness enjoying his ToyHome (TMH) this summer.

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/uploads/1169594953/gallery_1558_138_26192.jpg" target="_blank">http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/uploads/...8_138_26192.jpg</a>

I would like to keep the feel of the 80's, after all that is when I was in my prime. Thanks, Michael

I was thinking if you don't find a "new" set, you might be able to visit a salvage yard or two. There might be something similar on a salvaged bus or truck.

Thank you Shanda: Small retired box truck may just have the length / width bracket I require to get beyond my sideways overhang due to the stepped nature of these mini pickup cabs attached to wide body MH. I will plan on visiting a salvage yard this week. I am hoping to purchase someones' extra inventory and stay with the 80's retro look. I can see it now, "Stainless Steel Swing Away West Coast Mini Mirrors" Thanks, Michael

Thank you futar for your reply as well as your 3 attachments. I say three because on the photo of your motorhome is the exact style of mirror bracket I am looking for. I can always add the extra support arm. The other styles pictured are indeed very nice alternatives. You mentioned a MH of yours had flat metal stock for mirror brackets which were attached to the overhead. This surely seems to be a solution, but I am 6' tall and I envision myself getting caught up in this arrangement on a moonless night. Or were they mounted all the way forward on the overhang? Since your MH has the style of mirror brackets I "think" I desire, you are knowledgeable about their strengths and weaknesses. If you were to purchase another MH which was not supplied with suitable mirror brackets which style would you personally select to install? Thanks, Michael

You asked about measurements for using the Ford swing out mirrors. Sorry, but that was my first Toyhome 18 years ago. That was in New England where road salts dissolve vehicles and people. I'm sure it is now in that great camp ground in the sky.

If I had to do a replacement it would be any one that swings out of the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Michael, Try these websites...they have alot of choices on different mirror appications including the orginal Velvac Dual Style that so many of us have. Regards, Roxanne

http://www.rustrepair.com/app2/onlinecat.htm?r=ms&p=wi

http://sureplus.com/products/other.htm

Than you Roxanne: I securely remounted my original mirrors and their brackets on the below the window mounted tripod setup configuration which only accommodates one mirror head per side with a small convex mirror glued on each side.

I ordered West Coast Mirror Heads, 6 X 16, I have an idea as how to mount them, but due to the slope of the front of the door, I might have to install the mirror heads lower than on the Big Rigs. Or I will have to drastically modify the attachment brackets to raise the center line of the mirror glass. I do not want the glass of the West Coast Mirror to be rearward beyond the back edge of my wing windows.

I'm fine with the remounted original mirrors, but I want to add more rearward vision for anyone else whom may be co-driving with me. Also desire to add more frontal mass by installing more Brackets so that this second driver remembers that the coach extends outward, wider than the cab. Much like a cube van. The Canopy mounted on the curb side requires even greater awareness when parking alongside signposts. With the canopy rolled up it's 6" wider than the drivers side and so easily forgotten with the limited rearward view of the current mirrors.

Might be possible to attach a west Coast Mirror Yoke to Velvac Dual Style Brackets as most Toyota ToyHomes are equipped with. Has anyone out there attached full sized West Coast Mirrors to their ToyHome? Thanks, Michael

The mounting brackets which I am in search of would be configured similar to these U-Haul 10' box cargo vans, but I would need a 15" to 18" horizontal adjustment for the top bracket.

I have written U-Haul as to their supplier of these brackets, as well as to inquires with several manufacturers of loop brackets.

post-2937-1249227551.jpg

post-2937-1249227591.jpg

I have written U-Haul as to their supplier of these brackets, as well as to inquires with several manufacturers of loop brackets.

Eric Burkhardt ,Technical Service Representative @ Velvac replied on 7/27/09 that they no longer offer mirror assemblies for Toyota, they are no longer available. Ph#800-783-8871

So I need to find a dealer with non purchased new stock or look to the salvage market.

Am investigating a West Coast Mirror Assembly which I saw on a 2006 GMC Pickup with a Stahl Utility Body which was stepped outward. The selling point of these mirror brackets is that the front leading edge top bracket vertically rose approximately 4 inches before turning for the horizontal run. Retrac Mirror Brackets has the closest looking setup. http://www.retracmirrors.com/Product_Line/H_M-WC08/h_m-wc08.html

This photo of a Gulfstream Conquest has the same mirror brackets and stripes as my Old 87. Just no rust or weather cracked decals yet.

post-2937-1249573334_thumb.jpg