How does my hot water heater work?

I have Direct Ignition Model on my 91 sunrader.  It says in the manual to 1. turn on the remote switch (I did that) 2. If switch light stays on longer than 15 seconds turn off and wait 5 minutes (It stayed on forever after blinking once).  So I turned it off and went to step 3. Repeat Step 1.  That ignited the system, the WH indicator is off now and the water seems to be getting hot.  

Questions:

1. Do I have to turn off the switch after I use the water and relight it every time I need hot water?  Or does it keep water hot all the time and I just leave it on? I assume this second option would drain my LP gas more quickly, right?  

2. Do I have to be plugged in to power to light the hot water heater?  

I have some other questions about power sources/draws, etc... but will post in the appropriate forum.  

If your RV was stored for an extended period of time, the gas lines will fill with air and it may take several tries to get gas to the appliance. I think that is what happened to your water heater. After you purged the lines everything works as it is supposed to. The water is automatic and will cycle on/off as needed. 

P.S. The dang thing sounds like a jet engine when its running so a lot of us turn it off at night for a sound sleep.