Bad luck is going to force sale...whats it worth?

Christian

Some of you may have seen a couple of my posts lately...my luck in the RV world just hasn't been too good sa far to say the least...lol

I started out on my first Rv trip and made it about 400 miles when my motor blew up...now I need to find out what this thing will be worth when I get back home and try to sell it.

I bought a 1986 Toyota Odyssey and here is the list of repairs so far with the prices.

This might be good for some first time RV buyers like myself as well....things add up real quick if you don't watch out.

I would like any comments on what my asking price should be...I have done research but it varies so much from RV to RV.

You will not hurt my feelings if you think I am way over my head in it...I just don't know

This may not be in order...just going through receipts and memory.

This also does not include the labor for two people more then full time for over three weeks.

Thank you.

Summary:

1986 Toyota Odyssey

Length 20'

Mileage 58,000

Mileage on Rebuilt Motor 1100

Mileage on new rear Tires 1500

Trans: Auto w/Overdrive

Generator: Kohler

Extras / Bonuses:

Add a room, microwave, in dash DVD w/ backup camera, new rear tires, rebuilt motor, completely resealed roof with new vents, two new batteries, all appliances and ACs work, nice layout with very clean blue cushions...drives nice.

Cons:

Sat for a month or so with bad roof vents...some minor signs of leakage in cab area...but not rotten.

One semi soft spot by entry way...not falling through or anything.

Crack in fiberglass where awning connects by generator. (thank you tow truck)

Ladder bent a little (Thank you tow truck)

Awning has normal wear and is a little rotten where it connects to RV (was told to duct tape it)

My costs on repairs...

Purchased RV $1,700.00

Tires (4 rear Hankook) $700.00

Rooftop A/C Replaced $140.00

Cab A/C

Diagnostic $45.00

Hose Replacement $35.00

Diagnostic $60.00

Hose Replacement $35.00

Filled R12 $120.00

General Mechanic

Transmission Flush

Oil Change

Fixed Heater Core Bolt

Exhaust Gaskets

Total Labor $260.00

Parts on above $140.00

New Roof Vents (3 at $45) $140.00

Roof Sealer (Dicor) $120.00

Roof Coating (Lowes Elastometric) $90.00

Spare Tire (Painted / Mounted) $60.00

New Coach Heater Circuit Board $160.00

Fixed Awning Torsion Bar $80.00

Welded Crack in Exhaust $50.00

Fixed Bent Bumper $50.00

Stereo System

7" In Dash DVD $350.00

Sony 6x9 Speakers $85.00

Two Sub Woofers $80.00

Two Amplifiers $140.00

Cables & Wire $45.00

Toggle Switches $15.00

Reverse Camera $60.00

Carpet Shampoo (9 Bottles) $45.00

Water Heater Door Latch $5.00

Fixed Interior Door / Drawer Latches $15.00

New Key For Deadbolt $20.00

New Front Cab Window $120.00

Rebuilt A/C Shroud $60.00

Generator Oil Change & Plug $15.00

New Light In Cab $15.00

Rebuilt Motor

Machined Block

Machined Head

New Valves

New RV Cam

New Timing Chain

New Head Gasket

New Pistons

Total on Rebuilt Motor $2,200.00

New 3 Row Radiator $220.00

New Clutch Fan $100.00

All New Belts $60.00

Two New Batteries $180.00

Propane Tank $45.00

Fixed KC Lights $12.00

Bought New Matching Microwave $70.00

Misc Parts From RV George $320.00

Total Investment $8,262.00

post-2560-1245197267_thumb.jpg

post-2560-1245197339_thumb.jpg

post-2560-1245197358_thumb.jpg

Interior Pics Will be added soon...sorry, only have older ones right now.

You aren't going to come close to breaking even, so the only way to recover some of your money is to use the RV. Use it on short trips all summer long. If you still feel its a bad deal then sell it next spring.

I need to add rooftop a/c where did you get one for $140.00???

And I must say to have to put some money into a 20+ year old rig it is not bad luck but something to be expected (maybe not the engine) but even a vehicle with low miles will still age and need things. Seals shrink for lack of use, weather damage, condensation- etc.

I have put some $$ into mine to fix it up, and had some "bad luck" with some body damage. I thought about selling but we kept it and use it all the time. Who knows if you sell it and get something else you may have to start over on the fixups. Looks like a nice truck to me and you know everything that is going on with it.

Pdq...You can get an add a room at many RV supply stores...they can order them if they don't have them in stock.

Or check good ole ebay :) Mine might be going on there in a couple weeks even...lol I think it's a twelve footer.

WME...I know I wont break even...I thought I would actually make some money on it when we first got it though and breaking even was worst case scenario...I only have one trip planned and then I will "have" to sell it...thats what is so hard.

This is our second one...the first one we bought needed way to much and had the bad axle setup...we learned a lot with that one but I guess not enough :(

Supur...I got a used rooftop A/C from a local used RV parts store...the place is called Rv Doctor George in Sacramento...it happened to be one that had sat there for a long time and had no shroud but it was the same model as the one I had so it worked out well. The cheapest I have seen one other then that is on craigslist.org...one was posted for $80 in the Sacramento area.