Tow Hitch

noreegalaba

i have a 94 toyota winnebago warrior. i brought it in to get a tow hitch installed and the guys at the shop said "absolutely not". that the rv body could not support a tow hitch. i am confused about this, because i have seen many toyota's that have hitches and are able to tow light loads. i want to tow my drift boat. can anyone help me with this???? Please.. this is the reason i bought this rv..

None of the Toyota motorhomes were built to handle a tow hitch. If you look under the

rear end you will notice that the truck frame stops a foot or two from the rear bumper

and the only support is usually from angle iron supports that are mainly strong enough

to just support the floor and hold the bumper on..

Those that have a trailer hitch had some custome welding done, they had to have some extra

supports added to shore up the area between the truck frame and rear bumper. This only solves

the support issue. The Toyota rear suspension is pretty much at max load and anything you

end up towing will probably exceed your rear suspension capability. The next issue is the

RVs braking system, it is also pretty much at max capability without the extra weight pushing

on it. Another item is your tires would experience more load. Most hitch places (if not all) will

not attempt to do the work since the liability could come back to them.

Dennis...

None of the Toyota motorhomes were built to handle a tow hitch. If you look under the

rear end you will notice that the truck frame stops a foot or two from the rear bumper

and the only support is usually from angle iron supports that are mainly strong enough

to just support the floor and hold the bumper on..

Those that have a trailer hitch had some custome welding done, they had to have some extra

supports added to shore up the area between the truck frame and rear bumper. This only solves

the support issue. The Toyota rear suspension is pretty much at max load and anything you

end up towing will probably exceed your rear suspension capability. The next issue is the

RVs braking system, it is also pretty much at max capability without the extra weight pushing

on it. Another item is your tires would experience more load. Most hitch places (if not all) will

not attempt to do the work since the liability could come back to them.

Dennis...

Hi Dennis, thanks so much for your help. i am disappointed as i have seen many toy rv's towing things. is it too much of a risk to try to tow a small dory.....

also, do you know where i can get a used generator???

I have seen it done also, and even helped a fellow Odyssey owner make the best with his tailer.

In his case, he was going to be traveling by himself and wanted to pull his motorcycle

with him. I helped him locate an aluminum trailer (weighed only about 150 pounds) and

to advised him to upgrade the tires to load range D. He found a private welder to re-enforce

the area between the bumper and truck frame. For him, his motorcycle and trailer weighed

under 800 pounds.

Dennis...

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Dennis, thanks so much for your help. i am disappointed as i have seen many toy rv's towing things. is it too much of a risk to try to tow a small dory.....

also, do you know where i can get a used generator???

I have a light trailer with two Laser sailboats on it. Total weight of the loaded trailer is probably in the 650-700 lb range. I'm guessing we have towed it about 8000 miles now with the Warrior. The only problem we have is that it is very hard to see whats happening when you back the trailer. Most of the time, I just unhitch and move it by hand when I get into that situation.

I have a 5,000 lb hitch on mine that was there when I got it, as far as towing with it I would not, but I think it's fine for a cargo rack. Thats what I have with my Honda 3500 generator on it. Here are some pics.

post-1399-1246938791_thumb.jpg

post-1399-1246938831_thumb.jpg