Washington Island and Rock Island Wisconsin

bufbooth

Washington Island and Rock Island:

The first week of June (2009) we did a one week trip in our Toyota Motorhome (Mrs Clark) to Washington Island and Rock Island Wisconsin, just NE of Door County (near Green Bay).

I was able to get the last mouse nest (found two) out the day before leaving, Mrs Clark performed great during the entire trip, turned 102,000 miles and gas mileage was in the 12 to 14 mpg range.

The Indiana State Police welcomed us as we started the trip (warning ticket for “unsafe lane usage”…aka default ticket for not being DUI). Our first stop was Aurora, Illinois to visit Mom. The next day we crossed the Cheddar Curtain (Wisconsin Boarder) and made our first stop at the first Wisconsin exit on I-94 (West side), a military vehicle museum. Just East of the first exit we ran across the Jelly Belly company and did a free warehouse tour, which included some free samples, plus a trip to the company store.

Our next stop was in Door County at the Beantown campgrounds. Beantown was pretty empty, only about 6 other campers. The campgrounds were really nice, had a nice shower/bath house and a heated pool. My wife ran across two wild turkeys while walking the dog, and we could hear Coyotes at night.

The next morning we drove to the NE tip of Door County and boarded a vehicle ferry for the 30 minute trip to Washington Island. Once on Washington Island, we immediately headed for it’s NE corner and boarded a passenger ferry for a 10 minute ride to Rock Island. Rock Island is a state park that has a museum and light house on it. We stayed two nights on Rock Island camping in tents, we had the entire Island to ourselves, plus the two Rangers and the two packs of Coyotes in which one pack ran about 20 yards from our campsite. We also saw the Eagle that lives on the island. On Tuesday we returned to Washington Island and headed to its only campground (Washington Island Retreat campground) and we were one of three campers for the two nights that we stayed there. The campground was very nice, nice showers, rec room, and free outdoor activities (mini-golf, tennis, play ground). Washington Island was pretty empty, I think the crowds usually start the second week of June. We also noticed that about half (no joke) the Island was for sale, farm houses, farm fields, our campground, and even the building the Post Office was in. I was told that folks were selling for different reasons. My boys got to sit at the Bar to eat lunch, the Bar (Tavern in Wisconsin) on Washington Island is the longest Tavern in consistent operations in Wisconsin, during Prohibition the Tavern owner got his Pharmacist license and sold medical Bitters (90 proof).

Our next stop after leaving the Island was West to Wisconsin Dells for a day at a water park.

Dennis…

post-412-1244761469_thumb.jpg

post-412-1244761488_thumb.jpg

post-412-1244761509_thumb.jpg

post-412-1244761532_thumb.jpg

post-412-1244761731_thumb.jpg

post-412-1244761750_thumb.jpg

post-412-1244761762_thumb.jpg

post-412-1244761776_thumb.jpg

post-412-1244761788_thumb.jpg

post-412-1244761803_thumb.jpg

post-412-1244761816_thumb.jpg

post-412-1244761826_thumb.jpg

post-412-1244761836_thumb.jpg

post-412-1244761848_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Ah Dennis!!!!

Great photos! Beautiful Family, Beautiful Dog, Beautiful motorhome!!!!!

Love the Sunset!

shanda