Just bought a Dolphin 83 and my searches thus far have failed

evereste

Hi, I'm new to this forum and also the Toyota Dolphin 83, drawn by the mpg and dry camping. I did find manuals here tho' (Thank you Robert and Jackie Daniel)... We used a 1983 westfalia Vanogan in the past.

I need to tighten my parking brake, this is the most crucial as we're taking our first trip to Big Sur in a few days... I figured it can't be that difficult and maybe someone has a how to or at least where to?

I haven't figured out how to get the water and heating, ac etc running but ne step at a time...

I did try to search the forums but alas.

Oh we've already done a ton of work on the interior...I'll post the pix soon.

Thanking you in advance...

Hi, I'm new to this forum and also the Toyota Dolphin 83, drawn by the mpg and dry camping. I did find manuals here tho' (Thank you Robert and Jackie Daniel)... We used a 1983 westfalia Vanogan in the past.

I need to tighten my parking brake, this is the most crucial as we're taking our first trip to Big Sur in a few days... I figured it can't be that difficult and maybe someone has a how to or at least where to?

I haven't figured out how to get the water and heating, ac etc running but ne step at a time...

I did try to search the forums but alas.

Oh we've already done a ton of work on the interior...I'll post the pix soon.

Thanking you in advance...

Hi evereste

I'm new to this too so I hope I'm doing this right. Sorry if I goof up. If your parking brake is too loose and no one has changed the adjustment on the cable you should adjust the brake shoes first. This will usually take care of the parking brake assuming all else is status quo. It is of course always a good idea to pull off the brake drums, wipe out any dust with a damp throw away rag or use brake cleaner while wearing a particulate mask, and check the thickness of your brake linings and for any lip on the inner edge of your brake drums. Toyota says if you are down to 1mm its time for turning the drums and new shoes. On the small trucks I've seen the rear shoes go anywhere from 60K to over 100K depending on braking habbits. On the motorhomes with all of that weight I don't know how far they will go, but I suspect its alot less. I just bought an '87 Dolphin with 52K and the previous owner had already replaced the rear brakes, so maybe you can use that for some comparison.To adjust the brake shoes you turn a star wheel at the bottom of the brake assembly. You can do this with your fingers while you have the brake drum off or you can turn with a special tool or a flat screwdriver through the backing plate slot after removing the oblong rubber plug. Keep testing the shoe to drum clearance as you adjust. If after all of this you still need to adjust the parking brake cable you will see a cable coming from each rear wheel. Follow the cables forward until they meet a threaded rod which is attatched to a lever and another cable going up front. With the parking brake cmpletely off run the nut on the threaded rod forward until the park brake handle pulls tight at about half travel (turn test turn test). The adjustment nut has a little hump built into it that will keep it from turning after you're done. Remember if someone has tightened the P/cable before without adjusting the shoes first you may actually have to loosen the cable after or as the shoes are being properly adjusted.

Hope this helps

AREVEE87

Hi evereste

I'm new to this too so I hope I'm doing this right. Sorry if I goof up. If your parking brake is too loose and no one has changed the adjustment on the cable you should adjust the brake shoes first. This will usually take care of the parking brake assuming all else is status quo. It is of course always a good idea to pull off the brake drums, wipe out any dust with a damp throw away rag or use brake cleaner while wearing a particulate mask, and check the thickness of your brake linings and for any lip on the inner edge of your brake drums. Toyota says if you are down to 1mm its time for turning the drums and new shoes. On the small trucks I've seen the rear shoes go anywhere from 60K to over 100K depending on braking habbits. On the motorhomes with all of that weight I don't know how far they will go, but I suspect its alot less. I just bought an '87 Dolphin with 52K and the previous owner had already replaced the rear brakes, so maybe you can use that for some comparison.To adjust the brake shoes you turn a star wheel at the bottom of the brake assembly. You can do this with your fingers while you have the brake drum off or you can turn with a special tool or a flat screwdriver through the backing plate slot after removing the oblong rubber plug. Keep testing the shoe to drum clearance as you adjust. If after all of this you still need to adjust the parking brake cable you will see a cable coming from each rear wheel. Follow the cables forward until they meet a threaded rod which is attatched to a lever and another cable going up front. With the parking brake cmpletely off run the nut on the threaded rod forward until the park brake handle pulls tight at about half travel (turn test turn test). The adjustment nut has a little hump built into it that will keep it from turning after you're done. Remember if someone has tightened the P/cable before without adjusting the shoes first you may actually have to loosen the cable after or as the shoes are being properly adjusted.

Hope this helps

AREVEE87

Thank you Areevee87... I'll have a go... Appreciate the detail and time. You rule!

See attached.

Brilliant! I rechecked and found if I pulled it 'all the way' it was solid... I will print this out for future ref. Thanks so much... We just left Big Sur, no internet or cell, fantastic! Tonight Carmel and tomorrow Monterey and San Fran and beyond...

Can't get the darned water heater to light, it's brand new too.

Oh we got 20 miles a gallon from Los Angels, pretty impressive if you consider much of the driving in 3rd gear due to winding climbs and falls. Loving it and so is my wife (who took a lot of convincing to buy this vehicle) and my 4 kids...

Cheers everyone...