New Owner Feeling Overwhelmed

Trish

I have purchased a 1984 Toyota Granville. The seller did not disclose many issues with my toy. His ad said "Road Ready"? Well it may fall apart in the road! I have a few questions, after having a contractor friend look at it?

What is the best product to use to seal the top of RV?

What is the best product to use to completely seal/caulk outside of RV (windows, edges of frame work, etc.)?

The bed over cab has to be pulled completly out and start over again?

I ran my finger down the left rear backside panel to show friend there was no caulking possible leak and frame work on corner fell down. The owner had use 7 to 8 screws to hold it up. Looked under it and looks like that whole panel underneath fiberglass will have to be replaced?

Postives: Engine in great shape, as well as interior carpet and doors. AC is really cold, fridge works, stove works, shower works. Some buckling in sealing over stove? Apolstry in RV good. Tires New. Roof looks a little wavy?

My husband is soooooo disappointed but I feel like it is a Diamond in the Ruff? That' my country girl side comin out!!!! Plz someone encourage me!

Edited by Trish

First of all.

Trish! Congratulations!!!! You have come to the right place to find answers to every and all question you might ever have regarding your new little toy. The guys and girls on this forum have been amazingly helpful to me and my little 81 Sunrader. You're also in for tons of fun!!!!

Please don't get frustrated. These babies are worth the the time and work we put into them.

Take one project at a time.

First thing I did, when I bought Sadie last May was to seal her windows. I removed them, cleaned the tracks and weep holes and applied fresh butyl tape I bought from O'Reilly's. (The black stuff they use to hold in windshields in cars)

(Paruse past posts. You'll find all answers there.)

I'm not familiar enough with the Granville, but several owners on this site have rebuilt the cab over bunks....they even have pictures...

Keep looking, you'll find them...

Sadie's window's had leaked pretty badly for several years while in the "care" of her previous owners.....

I had to rip out rotted paneling and backer cushions under her 3 main windows. I replaced the paneling, and painted it, and built new backer cushions .

After the windows and skylites were cleaned and sealed and the inside dried out, I mainly did cosmetic stuff....(paint hides alot of sins)....

Fabreezed the cushions. (they were halfway salvageable)....covered them with pretty fabric.....scented oil and potpourri in a basket on the counter top.....

Your can have your own little santuary, and you don't even have to leave the driveway if you don't want to.

Your positives.....good engine....good carpet...cold a/c...etc.... That's fantastic!

You can do this. Remember....one step at a time!!!!!!

Post some pictures and keep in touch!!!!

Shandaleigh

What is the best product to use to seal the top of RV?

I recommend using a product called Peel and Seal. It is a multipurpose roofing material that consists of a bituminus membrane with a thin aluminum metal surface. It comes in rolls and one roll will be just enough to do your roof. It's generally used as an underlayment on very low sloped roofs and as a repair material. The aluminum sheet protects the bituminous membrane from the sun and air so it doesn't crack and "alligator" like mopped on asphaltic sealants. I recommend you apply it on a very hot day with the RV parked in the sun and roll it in with a formica roller on flats and use rags to form it over bumps. Use a heat gun for additional heat if necessary. Remove the AC unit if one is installed, then propery reinstall and seal it. If you get it hot and press it on, it will never come off even at hurricane speeds. We apply it with a weed burning torch... The aluminum reflects a lot of heat as well. It comes in plain aluminum and white. About $100 per 3'x33' roll, and generally only availible at wholesale roofing supply companies (as in NOT Lowe's or Home Depot).

http://www.cofair.com/peel_seal.aspx

What is the best product to use to completely seal/caulk outside of RV (windows, edges of frame work, etc.)?
PL Polyurethane caulk. There is a white one for siding and windows and a black one for roofs, but I've used the white one on white roofs and and the black one on black trim. It's about 6 dollars per tube at Home Depot/Lowes. Very hard to clean up messes. Wear throwaway clothes and have a paint thinner soaked rag ready for cleanup. http://www.stickwithpl.com/products/detail...?PLProductID=21 http://www.stickwithpl.com/products/detail...?PLProductID=22