Generator......??

Family handed down 92 Sea Breeze V6-5spd.

Question?

My generator runs good...but I cannot get it to power anything, is there a switch to change from shore to gen.

when I plug in the shore line, everything works great ...

thank you,

Some of the MH have a socket in the same little door where the power cord lives the socket goes to the generator so you have to plug in the power cord to the socket to get power from the generator.

Hi....

thanks for the quick response, the power cord is plugged into the socket near the gen, still no worky.....hmmmmmm I will check the fuses.

EDIT: ahhhhh, I will check there in the morning, thank you !!!

Some of the MH have a socket in the same little door where the power cord lives the socket goes to the generator so you have to plug in the power cord to the socket to get power from the generator.
Edited by 2wheels

There is also a breaker on the generator looks like a switch for the 120 volt output.

this is driving me crazy....cannot get the gen to power anything...got to be a user error (me) I did not check the small fuses on the gen itself...could these be out ??

The generator only has 12 hours on it....this is what the meter reads.

think I mentioned I did check them....I did not !!

Edited by 2wheels

You trying to run lights, heater, etc or your A/C or microwave? There is a main breaker in your inside panel but it should still run the lights and such if it were tripped the A/C and outlets would not work. On the side of the generator (assuming it's an Onan) behind the access door is a generator breaker if it is tripped you will get no output looks like a house breaker. I can't say for sure but I think the only thing the small fuses will do is not let it start one I think is fuel pump and the other control wiring. would not hurt to check them any way.

Microwave will not power on with the gen...it is an onan, should all the breakers be on when running the gen...up position.

none of the outlets work either for tv/clock/radio etc...

Also a little annoying,

the gen will not start with the interior button, I need to open the panel outside and hit the choke lever to get it running...????

I feel like such a gomer asking these lame questions, but these rigs are quite different

You trying to run lights, heater, etc or your A/C or microwave? There is a main breaker in your inside panel but it should still run the lights and such if it were tripped the A/C and outlets would not work. On the side of the generator (assuming it's an Onan) behind the access door is a generator breaker if it is tripped you will get no output looks like a house breaker. I can't say for sure but I think the only thing the small fuses will do is not let it start one I think is fuel pump and the other control wiring. would not hurt to check them any way.
Edited by 2wheels

When you mean starting do you mean it won't crank? Yes all of the breaker have to be on including the one on the generator I'm not sure of your breakers up down or side ways but they should have on /off markings. Does this thing sound like it's running fairly fast and smoothly?

the gen cranks over from the inside, but will not start. when running (starting from the outside w/choke lever) it pulsates, not smooth at all.......I am thinking the carb or something is gummed up from setting (12 hours on the gen)....it should power something, even running rough right ?

trying to get this thing working, heading out Sunday night for a maiden voyage camping trip in the boonies w/no power !!!! would be nice to kick on the gen for hot water/micro...and all other power amenities.

Hmmmmmmmm

Thank you for working with me on this issue......! much appreciated

OK that is probably your answer it is not running fast enough to make power. Can you hold the choke lever open with your hand? There is a big screw down under the rod for the choke that is the choke adjustment, now you can make it too tight or too loose so if you are now comfortable adjusting it maybe you can find a friend that is. What you can do is prop the choke open after it starts a stick or some thing to hold it open there is a paddle (that is probably what you see vibrating) push it back and it should smooth out and run faster. That will get you going for the weekend then maybe you can find some one to fix it.

it should power something, even running rough right ?

Nope. Just because the engine runs doesn't mean the alternator is putting out 120 volts.

To get 120VAC/60Hz, you need the following series of events to happen:

*You need the controller to send 12 VDC to the BRUSHES of the alternator rotor during cranking. If this doesn't happen, no rotating magnetic field.

*You need the brushes to make good contact with the rotor's slip rings.

*The rotor windings must complete the circuit and allow current to flow through, otherwise, no magnetic field.

*The stator windings must pick up the rotating magnetic field and induce an alternating current voltage in their windings.

*The RPM's must increase to 3600 or 1800 depending on whether you have a 2 pole or 4 pole alternator. If you have a microlite, it is 3600. A Marquis is 1800.

*The electronic voltage regulator must sense the voltage output of the stator and and adjust the DC voltage being sent to the rotor accordingly to provide 120 volts.

If the regulator senses a frequency of less than about 55 Hz (3,300 RPM) or more than about 66 Hz (3,960 RPM), it will shut off the DC voltage to the rotor, and the alternator will put out about 1 volt AC from residual magnetism in the shaft.

Now it is impossible to say what's going on without knowing which generator you have (model number) but the 6 possible culprits are:

*Erraticaly running/surging engine (verify 3600 with a tachometer. The RPM's are CRITICAL)

*dirty slip rings/brushes

*bad voltage regulator

*bad control board

*connection problems (ie tripped, faulty, or incorrectly switched circuit breakers and load switches)

*shorted or open windings in the alternator's rotor or stator.

Long story short is that if you have an electronically regulated alternator, and your trouble is something other than somehow not being connected to the genset, you might as well leave it to the Onan shop. Now here's how you can find out if your problem is simply not being connected to the genset's 120v ouput...

Remove the control panel and find the busses labeled L0 L1 L2... or find the back side of the circuit breaker. L2 should be empty. Measure between L0 and L1 with the genset running and see if you get 120VAC. Remember that there is enough voltage there to kill you.

Please tell us the full model number of your generator and maybe we can help more.

See http://www.gmcws.org/Tech/dsimmons/onan/onan.html

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

i just bought a 94 winn. warrior. i have the same problem with the gen that has only 52 hours on it. brought it to camping world and they said it was an oil leak from sitting too long. is there anything i can do???

• 2 months later...

I had a very similar problem. Microwave would not work properly. I discovered that the voltage was way too high for the microwave. 165 volts. I replaced the voltage regulator first. The voltage then dropped to 134 volts. Still a little too high so I had the carburetor replaced. Now it holds at 125 volts and microwave works perfectly. The mechanic adjusted the governor also. Hope this helps you. My rig is a 1989 Dolphin, and I love it to pieces.

• 5 months later...

With a generator the best method is to check frequency if it is at or near 60 cycles it is running at the proper speed the voltage should follow. and be in the 115/120 range. So to answer your question you need a volt meter with a frequency scale. If your A/C runs fine it sounds like you have an issue with the breaker there should be a 15 amp breaker for the outlets and the A/C should have a 20 amp breaker some thing else you might check is the GFI if you outlets have one it maybe tripped.

With a generator the best method is to check frequency if it is at or near 60 cycles it is running at the proper speed the voltage should follow. and be in the 115/120 range. So to answer your question you need a volt meter with a frequency scale. If your A/C runs fine it sounds like you have an issue with the breaker there should be a 15 amp breaker for the outlets and the A/C should have a 20 amp breaker some thing else you might check is the GFI if you outlets have one it maybe tripped.

Thanks Maineah!

I have a multimeter, but where do I test the generator? Near the outlet? I'll also check to see if the breakers have been tripped.

Thanks,

Navy

Yes the outlets are a good place to check and fairly safe. GFI's protect outlets down stream so if it is tripped it should kill the other outlets also.

Yesthe outlets are a good place to check and fairly safe. GFI's protectoutlets down stream so if it is tripped it should kill the otheroutlets also.

Awesome... well I just check thebreakers and they are good and have not tripped. The voltage from theoutlet with in the coach is 135v. My multimeter doesn't have afrequency scale. So I'm going to buy one from harbor freight and see what it reads.

thanks again,

navy