Any know of this dealer?

JoSmo

Hi- new look for Toyota motorhome. I see ads by same seller think may be dealer and try rip me off. I concern to CADMV with my request. Look ad and if know story please tell. Post question yahoo-camper group but question never show in list. see the ad.

<H4 style="MARGIN-TOP: 4px; MARGIN-LEFT: 4px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 4px">1991 Dolphin</H4>Year

Length

Miles

This RV is WAY above average! NOT a project! Restored to be perfect as possible. Exterior has new stripes -very nice! You can be proud to drive this great-looking coach! LOTS more storage than average. Extra built-in cabinet for extended travel or lots of cargo. V-6 auto trans;16 mpg. Rear bath w/ sep shower, dinette=bed. Pale rose color interior w/minimal wear. Patio awning, Fantastic Fan, new micro/oven,12 CD changer. Fold-down shelf for flat-screen TV + omni roof ant. All systems function as they should: Fridge. Roof AC &Cab AC, all very cold. Engine & coach batteries, & propane tank just replaced. Roof resealed-no leaks; no frame rust. Head Gasket recall done; new front shocks. Extra clean, N/S, smells great! All manuals incl. Title is clear-transfers to any state. RV is ready to travel cross-country w/ no worries. Tires are excellent. Furnished w/ multiple accessories. What you will be getting is peace of mind.

Call for link to 80 photos & to arrange to see it--you will most likely be delighted!

Located in Pasadena, CA $15,950

(click images to view full size)

91dolphin01_small.jpg 01dolphin02_small.jpg 91dolphin03_small.jpg

91dolphin04_small.jpg 91dolphin05_small.jpg 91dolphin06_small.jpg

I believe the person selling that RV is a dealer as per the California Department of Motor Vehicle description. I am also pretty sure who owned that RV before the seller bought it for resale. If its the RV I think it is it definitely was not purchased for personal use. In the state of California I believe the seller would be required to hold a valid dealers license, whether he / she has one I do not know. I think you said that you also posted this on the yahoo group? I believe the seller is a moderator on the yahoo group so perhaps your post got deleted. If it did get deleted that would be bad for the reputation of the group there. Hope for all those there that was not the case.

Here is a link to the Calif Dealer Laws description. http://www.toyotamotorhome.org/classifieds/pages.php?page=10

Good luck in your search for a nice RV.

salamat

excuss english. Recieve mail frm seller. says no deler. why so much more sell in befor. freind buy frm same seller but no official paper to signature like dealer. only ask information at yahoo. no trouble problem now not trust yahoo.

JoSmo

The seller of that unit is a well known reseller of Toyota Motorhomes in the Los Angeles area. She sells as a private party and is not a dealer. That said, the vehicle may not be titled in her name. She is also a moderator on the Toyota-Campers Yahoo group and can block any postings she feels are inappropriate.

I would caution you to take the term "Restored" with a grain of salt. Restoration implies that a lot of mechanical work was also done to make the chassis "As New" Most resold Toyota Motorhomes are, as best, "Referbished", cleaned up and looking nice... I would think that a truly "restored" Toyota Motorhome would have to sell in the $25000-$35,000 range to cover rebuilding expenses alone.

As a precaution, anytime you buy in CA be sure the seller has a clear title, run a CarChack or a CarFax report on the VIN to verify ownership and mileage claims, have a qualified mechanic check out the mechanicals and always insist on a current smog certificate.

Also be aware that CA just passed new laws concerning "Curbstoners", those that aren't dealers and buy and resell vehicles at a profit. Under some circumstances vehicles they are selling can be seized by the state.

As Always, be very careful when buying, there is virtually no protection out there...

Sunrader Bob

Riverside, CA

1978 Sunrader

1989 Sunrader Adventure

He got deleted just because he asked the "Is this a dealer" question over there. Yeeeouch. In California getting a dealers license is a piece of cake. Take a course for a few hours about $150, then drop into DMV for your license, about another $150. Why play with fire.

Also be aware that CA just passed new laws concerning "Curbstoners", those that aren't dealers and buy and resell vehicles at a profit. Under some circumstances vehicles they are selling can be seized by the state.
The fire part! You forgot to mention, fines, back taxes, and maybe jail time.

RE: Resellers

I am sure that part of the many reasons that many resellers do not become "dealers" is that they have to have a place of business that is zoned for vehicle sales. As most are selling out of their homes they can't get a business license. You can become a vehicle "seller" . i.e. s a sales person, without a place of business, but you can't become a dealer witout a place of business.

In addition, there is the question of collecting sales taxes, reporting income and paying income taxes to state and federal collectors, plus the liability that a dealer has selling a vehicle that a pvt. party escapes. A dealer in CA is prohibited from selling a vehicle that won't pass smog for example. They are required to provide a smog certificate with every car sold or their license can be suspended.

All told, I think that the question of Zoning (a used RV dealer in a residential area?) and basic tax evasion are the primary issues here.

Just in the Toyota RV arena alone there are several prolific "Resellers" out there, and all of then have been advised for at least the past year about dealership laws etc. and have chosen to ignore those warnings. One even went so far as to try to influence pricing using one or more of these sites.

Sunrader Bob

Riverside, CA