Dorman Fuel tank quality?

Odyssey 4x4

On 11/4/2023 at 10:34 AM, Odyssey 4x4 said:

I'm still a bit unsure what route I'm gonna take at this point. I have found several online reviews for the Dorman tanks stating poor quality and prone to failure to due to thin metal and poor construction. My tank is not in poor condition but does have slight rust inside from this happening. This specific review on advance autos website pretty much explains it all, and oddly enough, they mention it's on a Toyota RV. I went to a Toyota dealership yesterday and obviously these tanks have been discontinued a while ago by Toyota, and when they had them they were over $1000. 

IMG_6463.jpg.61dfaa8c2658f2d8abc4fa1cb96164b5.jpg

So my options are to...

-Risk it and get a Dorman tank, and reinforce the dorman tank before install like the person above said they did and hope for the best.

-Restore my current tank with an interior rust removal process and relining it, doable but a pain in the butt. 

-Find another tank at a junkyard, the chances of finding a 19 gallon 4x4 tank for my year sitting at a yard seem pretty slim. 

-Order a used tank on ebay which would be expensive and expensive shipping. 

-Install a completely aftermarket tank and have to fabricate a new mounting system in the truck, this would be a nice way to gain a few gallons in fuel capacity but comes with the work of fabricating the mounts. 

I'll keep the thread updated on what route I choose, and I'm open to input from anyone and would still love to hear if anyone has any experience on replacement tanks used in the past. I see a few threads on this site but would love any info I could get. 

I just want to add that I had this very same problem with replacement tanks 10 years ago!  I did get my money back after trying 2 and having same leak.  Then I had a mechanic spot weld the leak points on the exterior and that held.

On 5/6/2024 at 9:47 AM, vtchris said:

I just want to add that I had this very same problem with replacement tanks 10 years ago!  I did get my money back after trying 2 and having same leak.  Then I had a mechanic spot weld the leak points on the exterior and that held.

That's a shame, those tanks need to quit being sold!